Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping an STI frame to CA

kineteks

I am looking into shipping an STI frame and slide into California for finishing work. I know the frame will need to be shipped from/by an FFL holder to the finisher but I understand I'll also need to fill out some sort of federal DOJ transport/shipping form and include that with FFL info in the package. I haven't been able to locate this form or information pertaining to it as of yet, does anyone have some info on the process?

The process (shipped from FFL to them & DOJ shipping form) was described by the finisher as required for out-of-state (CA) shipment of a frame into CA, or at least to them. The source of the required form/application and the process for applying was not....

Hmmmmm.... this is a plater, not a FFL holder in CA. They were clear in stating that I, as an out of CA/state resident, non-FFL holder, would have to have the frame sent to them by an FFL-holder in my state, in addition I would need to file a DOJ application to ship into CA and that form would need to be included with the shipment. I asked if the DOJ document was state or federal and was told it was a federal form... perhaps that was incorrect and it's a CA application with the CADOJ? The plater, Coating Services Group, seemed very familiar with the process but was not specific about the process for obtaining the DOJ form.

Hmmmmm.... this is a plater, not a FFL holder in CA. They were clear in stating that I, as an out of CA/state resident, non-FFL holder, would have to have the frame sent to them by an FFL-holder in my state, in addition I would need to file a DOJ application to ship into CA and that form would need to be included with the shipment. I asked if the DOJ document was state or federal and was told it was a federal form... perhaps that was incorrect and it's a CA application with the CADOJ? The plater, Coating Services Group, seemed very familiar with the process but was not specific about the process for obtaining the DOJ form.

If they dont have an FFL, how are they going to be able to do work on your guns?

Also, an out-of-state FFL cant ship a gun to a non-FFL, unless its the legal owner.

I'd stay away from these guys....

Edited by gose

"Find another plater that has an FFL & specializes in gun coatings." Thanks, though I'm looking to have TiCN coating applied by a company that has experience with firearms and there don't seem to be a lot of them. Coating Services Group seems to have experience, examples of pistols are given with almost every coating flavor, and are reasonable in terms of both price and turn-around. I am, however, open to suggestions.

...seems like I need to give them another call, perhaps they have an FFL and I misunderstood. CA law, as it pertains to anything to do with firearms is confusing at best and I'm told the CADOJ is not entirely clear about was is and isn't required. Thanks for the input so far...

Edited by kineteks

You don't have to be an FFL to be a gunsmith. If they are pushing this, I would find someone else in a free state to do the work.

Sure, you can call yourself a gunsmith without having an FFL.

If you run a business doing gunsmithing without an FFL, youre likely to get a visit by some not very amused ATF agents.

ATF definition:

(d) Gunsmith. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;

Also, it would be against federal law to ship a handgun to a non-ffl, other than to the legal owner.

Edited by gose

Ive dealt with coating services before to have my barrels TiN'd. Turned out great. fast turn around time. They did ask me about that stuff they were asking you but I told them it was just barrels and dont need FFL to ship. No other question followed.

I guess they are more strict with 'firearms'.

"Find another plater that has an FFL & specializes in gun coatings." Thanks, though I'm looking to have TiCN coating applied by a company that has experience with firearms and there don't seem to be a lot of them. Coating Services Group seems to have experience, examples of pistols are given with almost every coating flavor, and are reasonable in terms of both price and turn-around. I am, however, open to suggestions.

...seems like I need to give them another call, perhaps they have an FFL and I misunderstood. CA law, as it pertains to anything to do with firearms is confusing at best and I'm told the CADOJ is not entirely clear about was is and isn't required. Thanks for the input so far...

At least as of June 2012 they had an FFL, if these are the guys:

COATING SERVICES GROUP LLC 11649 RIVERSIDE DRIVE SUITE 139 LAKESIDE CA 92040

So, it would be perfectly legal for you to ship the frame directly to them. However, not all FFLs choose to accept guns from non-FFLs, so if thats the issue you do have to find an FFL that can ship for you. The CFLC process that FFL would have to go through can be completed in minutes, its no big deal.

Edited by gose

gose, thanks a bunch, I'm going to give CSG another call but it sounds like what you're describing is, in fact the case. I've looked at the CFLC web site and it all seems pretty straightforward. Thanks to all for the help.