Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbe question about Dillon Dies

MN45

I've been reloading for awhile on a Lee single stage press. Now that I started USPSA I'm having a hard time keeping up with my addiction. I've decided that a new Dillon is in my future and have selected the model.

My question is, are the Dillon 45acp dies any better than the Lee dies I'm currently using (Lee 4 die set)? Just trying to make a list and get everything together when I place my order from Brian.

Thanks for any info.

Edited by MN45

Which Dillon? If you get a Square Deal normal dies won't fit. It only accepts special SDB dies.

All others will take any brand of die with standard threads. Dillon dies are good but so are LEE dies. There is no need to get the Dillon dies.

Sorry, I'm looking at getting the 550 Dillon.

I got a 550 last month, and i'm using my Lee dies. Quite alot of people prefer the lee sizer (sizes smaller, and also further down than dillon, apparently, and never breaks decapping pins), and the Lee FCD is also pretty popular with it's extra sizing ring. I don't bother case-gauging, and I've never had a single round fail to feed out of 10,000 or more.

I'm also using my lee pro-auto-disk for 45, and the dillon powder measure for 40. I figured I'd use them both for a while and decide which i want to buy another one of for 9mm, so I can leave everything adjusted on the toolhead. So far, no particular reason to prefer one over the other. The dillon is more adjustable, but with an extra set of disks and some dremeling, I can get .1 grain increments with the lee pretty easily too.

If you only load 1 caliber, you can just get the 550 and a few extra primer pickups and call it good. If you load anything else, I'd recommend picking up an extra toolhead and caliber conversion kit (shellplate, locator buttons, powder funnel) for each caliber.

550 is a machine you'll enjoy, Dillon presses are a step above the others in my mind. Factory service is unbeatable.

Took me a few years to make the switch but Lee dies are in the first station on every pistol caliber I load on either a 550 or 650 press. Lee's first stage sizer will size closer to the extractor groove than some other brands. Lee's seating die had an thumb adjustment for small changes in OAL, you can mark adjustments with a sharpie when changing bullet weights, then go back to the colored line when returning to say 230 from 200. Plus for a few bucks they will cut an insert to fit your bullet if you send the bullet to them. This helped me when using heavy bullets in 9mm minor. I use Lee's Factory crimp die as a crimp die not sizing the whole case as using it as a factory crimp die.

I don't care for Lee's nuts and would order a set of Dillon nuts. You may need to lock the sizer in place from the bottom, I did on my 650. You'll need Dillon's powder through die, should come in a kit with the locator buttons and shell plate.

Try and mount the press level, it will run smoother. Place a light so you can see in station three, your eyes are the powder check, look in station three before placing the bullet. Leave the shell plate loaded unless your changing calibers, unless your leaving for an extended time. Someone comes in the room stop, finish the conversation, then start back. Pushing up as seating the primer when coming back to load insures there's a primer in the station one case. I use powdered graphite as a lube on the primer slide bar, any liquid will attract trash. I know carbide dies say no lubrication is needed but just a small amount of lube makes the press run smoother, it's easier on the press, the brass, the dies and the operator.

Consider the roller handle, easier on the hands. The press can be mounted flat as there's no need to work under it. Mine is sitting on a short piece of 2x6 with hole drilled in the back to place allen wrenches in. Just a few tips.

Enjoy your press!

• 1 month later...

I like the Dillon dies. The only Lee dies I've tried were for 45 ACP and didn;t size the case small enough to hold the bullets. I bought RCBS to replace the Lee, bought Dillons for the 550B, they are very good. I do have some Lee collet rifle dies and the work well enough except for a few stuck cases. Best Lee product is the hand primer and the powder dippers.