Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walkthrough technique

Glock26Toter

So.. here's something I've noticed that may help some people. I started concentrating on this fairly recently and it seems to have helped.

When I'm running through a stage I no longer just "point" at each target and do a half-assed "reload" motion.

I concentrate on holding my hands in my exact grip position, and when I make a motion to count each round my trigger finger is the ONLY part of my hand that moves. The reload spot get's a full reload action while concentrating on looking "through" my fist that would have my gun in it.

I started looking at some of the better shooters and they look very "robotic" and you can tell that they are taking the walkthrough seriously with ALL MOVEMENTS, not just spotting targets. Less experienced shooters I see holding their hands different than they would hold their gun, and the most common thing I see is to flex their entire fist when firing their air rounds during walkthrough.

Seriously, I think this has helped me. Especially in trying to remove the habit of dropping my arm to reload.

You know the old saying "you fight like you train?"

• 2 weeks later...

Good post, i plan on giving it a shot. I have started practicing after a couple of walk throughs to separate myself from the group, close my eyes, and do the remaining walk throughs stationary with my eyes closed. This has really helped me "solidify" my stage p,an. Do you do this?

Yeah, MC1. I do that too... not with my eyes closed, but I'll stand way back so I don't run into anyone and I"m back there doing my walkthrough. Sometimes I get funny looks or run into someone because their standing there watching and I"m moving around doing my walkthrough. You gotta "cement it in." All my regular buddies get it by now :cheers:

I just had a thought, a light bulb moment. We all practice draws, dry firing and movement drills. The only time I ever conduct a walkthrough is during a match. I am thinking if you have enough space to set up a stage for airsoft, why not practice on walkthroughs also. Train yourself to have the same hand position every time and do complete walkthroughs for reloads in slow speed. When I am at a match and after the walkthrough is completed I try and get into a habit of watching every shooter before me and listen for the beep. This works out well when it’s a surrender start, I stand in the back and get into position and react to the start signal and move my hands to my grip. This lets me have multiply times to react to the signal before I am up.