Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OBR 7.62 first shot inaccuracy

DamonHP

I have a LaRue OBR 7.62 that always puts the first shot low: 2" at 100, 6" at 300 yards is common. This happens when I rack the bolt with the charging handle to put the first round in, whether the rifle is hot or cold. After that shot, the rest are usually .5 MOA or better. I'm assuming the bolt stays slightly out of battery for the first shot, then does better with the following rounds. Has anyone seen this? Does anyone know what I can do to have the first shot work accurately?

Sounds kind of strange that the bolt isn't going into full lock. I would recommend hitting the forward assit after charging it but I know this model doesnt have one. Have you ever taken the bolt apart? (not just the bolt from the bcg, but the extractor and everything to clean it?) how many rounds have you put through it and when did this start happening. Could your star chamber be dirty?

Strange. Are you letting the bolt fly home or are you riding the charging handle somewhat?

Does it do it anytime you go to a new magazine and charge the rifle by hand?

I would suggest locking the bolt to the rear, inserting a mag, and then hitting the bolt release. That way the bolt should close with the same authority that it does during live firing.

Assuming there isn't anything else going on between shot strings, like cleaning, etc. I have a few rifles that shoot drastically different with a thoroughly cleaned bore. They settle back in as they get properly fouled again. I typically leave them alone until the end of the season.

Is it the first shot from every magazine or just the first magazine of every shooting session? Have you tried sprinkling Dillo Dust in the action before inserting the first magazine? Also has anyone else duplicated the issue? I have heard of similar shooter induced problems with the first shot (not saying this is the case, but it is worth ruling out).

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

It does rather sound like you might be riding the bolt a bit but even so, it should lockup just fine and if it's not locked it shouldn't fire. If you ride the bolt in and then pull it back, does it have the same resistance as it would if you were ejecting a live round that was fed from the middle of a mag?

I'm also leaning to the cold shooter, which is often a bigger cause of a miss than a cold bore. Try settling in and dry firing a couple times before chambering a round.

I usually dry fire a few times before actually going hot so you can get that muscle memory back especially if shooting different platforms(Bolt gun, etc).

Definitely on last shot of every magazine I've ran , always a diffent POI.

• 1 month later...

Are you using a plastic tipped bullet by chance? Chamber a round of the same ammo you were using when you were having the issue, then remove it from the chamber and observe the tip.

Just curious if you have the same issue with FMJ ball ammo thru the gun. Maybe something to do with inconsistent deformation of the meplat. I don't think it would cause a whole 2MOA difference. But maybe the bolt isn't traveling as far back or carrying as much momentum during operation as you physically pulling the charging handle ALL the way to the rear and releasing.

Are you using a plastic tipped bullet by chance? Chamber a round of the same ammo you were using when you were having the issue, then remove it from the chamber and observe the tip.

Just curious if you have the same issue with FMJ ball ammo thru the gun. Maybe something to do with inconsistent deformation of the meplat. I don't think it would cause a whole 2MOA difference. But maybe the bolt isn't traveling as far back or carrying as much momentum during operation as you physically pulling the charging handle ALL the way to the rear and releasing.

I had this issue with my DPMS LR308 when shooting winchester 168 grain Ballistic Silvertips. The first round from the mag was always 1-1 1/2 left. when shooting Gold Medal Match the first shot was dead on, as were all the rest. It did notseem tomatter if I locked thebolt back and used the bolt release or the charging handle.

I'll second the cold-shooter suggestion. Get a friend to load the rifle for you (or not) while you look away, then get behind it and take your shot. If it goes "click" instead of "bang", you'll have your answer depending on whether or not the crosshairs move. Have your friend watch your eyes/face for flinching as well.

Edited by Andreas

Friend of mine told me that "Every shooting problem I've seen on a range can be traced to this gun part....the nut behind the grip"

Also " The toughest distance in shooting? Its the six inches between the shooters ears."

Prior posters have it right.....Get warmed up first with dry firing.

Then load mag with one round pull and release charging handle. FIre the one round.

Reload mag with one round and repeat for ten rounds. See if you still get a difference between round # 1 and round #10