Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rolling Thunder comp

RH45

I just picked up a Rolling Thunder comp for my .308, but I'm a little confused as to how it should be installed.

I hate to sound like a dumb a$$, but, could somebody post a picture, or email me a picture of one that is properly installed? :surprise:

Thanks! :cheers:

I have one for my 223. Big ports to the side and if I remember right, the little hole is on the bottom. Best way to get it on snug is use a big screw drive (or metal bar) wrapped in a towel through one of the big ports. Be sure to plug those ears, these things are LOUD.

Sorry I don't have a photo right now, but the small hole goes up. If you point it down you will get more muzzle climb. You will need a 308 shim kit, a peel washer or a crush washer for the install. Thread on the brake until it stops against your washer. Note the orientation and then adjust the washer so that the comp is about 10deg rotation from vertical (small hole near threaded end pointed up.. The Thunder must be periodically removed for cleaning, you want it to be tight enough to not come lose but not so tight that you have difficulty removing it later. Once you have it close on rotation, use a large wrench with a rag on the outside flats to torque into place. Do not use a screw driver inside the big holes as a wrench. The edges of the holes are knife edges and will crush. You will be left with idiot marks on your $100 comp. Adjustments to the chosen washer can be made by; stoning down the crush washer, peeling layers off the peel washer or stacking up different thickness of shims in the shim kit to obtain the desired timing. I have used a stoned crush washer and I have used a shim kit. The crush washer is hard and takes time to stone to the correct thickness but provides a good result. A proper shim kit will give the best results, however most shims are 7/8" outer diameter. The tapered end of the Thunder is 3/4". I forget where I found mine, but most shim kits you will find on line will be the Gemtech kits, which are 7/8" od. For the cleanest install you will want the 3/4" od shims. I have never actually seen a 308 peel washer.

little hole definately goes up, some have canted their comps where the blow hole is not at the 12 o'clock position. alot of times, without a comp the gun will go up and to the right during recoil, the idea is to position the compensator to make the gun go straight up and down.

The Rolling Thunder .308 comp comes with a small gas port on the right hand side also to help compensate for the torque. When installing comp make sure top port is facing straight up for maximum effectiveness on the .308 rifle.

Thanks fellas for the replies.

I recevied an email back from Benny today, here's what he said:

big hole at 12 o'clock & little one @ 3 o'clock from behind the gun. Drill out the 2 holes untill there is no up rise or torque.