Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Competition Rear Sight

ChiefG

Shot for the first time my new Custom SP01 Shadow with a fixed competition rear sight today, 200 rounds different loads with no hiccups. Need to drift the rear sight a smidge to the right. I mounted the slide in a vise, removed the one set screw on top of the sight and started using a delrin tipped punch to drift it left to right but it wouldn't budge. No matter how hard I hit it still won't move. :surprise: Thinking this was Loctited or something? Am I missing something?

Will appreciate any advise ...Thanks in advance.

BTW - this thing is scary accurate! :devil:

you need a bigger hammer and a brass punch.

Yes, a solid, dead blow from a heavy hammer is what you need. Even with a 16 oz ball peen hammer I really had to give some love to my TS sight. If you have access to a 2 1/2# single jack, give it a try, you'll be surprised how effective a slow, solid blow can be.

Heat it up.

Also, locking it into a vice may not be a very rigid setup, depending on the vice and how the vice itself is mounted. There can be a lot of "spring" in such a setup that will soak up a good amount of the blow force.

What i do is put a single strip of masking tape on either side of the slide. I then C clamp it directly to the bench top on its side, with the rights extending past the edge of the bench. This is a very rigid mount and once you break the chemical bond of the locktite the sight WILL MOVE if hit with a brass punch. Ditch the nylon punch.

Edited by lawboy

Heat it up.

Also, locking it into a vice may not be a very rigid setup, depending on the vice and how the vice itself is mounted. There can be a lot of "spring" in such a setup that will soak up a good amount of the blow force.

What i do is put a single strip of masking tape on either side of the slide. I then C clamp it directly to the bench top on its side, with the rights extending past the edge of the bench. This is a very rigid mount and once you break the chemical bond of the locktite the sight WILL MOVE if hit with a brass punch. Ditch the nylon punch.

Thanks Lawboy, my vice is not permanently attached on my bench. I use C clamps to attach it and that's what I think is happening as you mentioned soaking up the blow. Will try to C clamp the slide instead.

Ditching the nylon punch, bent an old brass punch and now looking for a new one.

As for the heat, what would you suggest the amount of heat to apply? I have a butane mini-torch I can use.