Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos Thundercomp - A discussion of modification and fluid dynamics

Whoops!

So, I'm about to have more holes edmd in one of my barrels. I am considering an additional modification while it is in the shop.

As with the larger final chamber of the Dawson comp and Akai comp, I am interested in a modification to better suit reduction of muzzle rise in my Thundercomp by releasing the vacuum associated with the expansion of the gas. In looking at it and considering structural drawbacks. I've decided that perhaps the best way to release the vacuum of the muzzle blast in the final chamber is to extend the last side ports through the wall of the second to last chamber and into the final chamber.

I understand this will decrease the surface area which blast will act upon, but does anyone with a knowledge of fluid dynamics think this will help achieve my desired result and overall decrease the muzzle rise instead of increase it?

I don't know enough about this subject to make an educated choice on the matter.

My proposed idea is illustrated in the second attached picture.

I am also considering removing material from the final port hole up as in the third picture. I believe this may accomplish my goal better, but at the added expense of much less surface area for the muzzle blast to act upon. However, this will also be slightly less prone to cracking if done correctly, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks,

Zack

post-24988-0-70784300-1351624422_thumb.j

post-24988-0-28117200-1351624429_thumb.j

post-24988-0-02236400-1351624971_thumb.j

Edited by Whoops!

From what I understand about compensators, they are cut to fit a general profile of blast for certain calibers. Cutting on them can upset the intended characteristics. From a fluid dynamics standpoint, we can only generalize the profile of a blast, but each successive blast will vary from the last, even if in the most superficial way. This is almost exclusively a field test opportunity unless you have access to Computational Fluid Dynamics software to model the pressures and reactions.

As for the cuts you want to make, if you want to take that much off the comp in picture 3, I would worry about the material getting battered by pressure and bending over.

Hello: I have used both the Dawson and Akai comps. The Dawson works better but it also is heavy which helps keep the muzzle down. The Akai comp needs holes in the barrel and is what Shay does on his builds. I would not cut on the Brazos comp at all. I would try some different powders and bullet weight to see if that does what you want. You may also try upping your powder charge to see if that helps flatten it out. Some pistols like higher power factors and even get softer and flatter. I have used the Thundercomp 2 as well but I use 115 grain bullets and HS-6 for my 9mm. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have used both the Dawson and Akai comps. The Dawson works better but it also is heavy which helps keep the muzzle down. The Akai comp needs holes in the barrel and is what Shay does on his builds. I would not cut on the Brazos comp at all. I would try some different powders and bullet weight to see if that does what you want. You may also try upping your powder charge to see if that helps flatten it out. Some pistols like higher power factors and even get softer and flatter. I have used the Thundercomp 2 as well but I use 115 grain bullets and HS-6 for my 9mm. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Eric - I agree and if you pay attention to the Brazos builds you will notice he has a drill as well 4 holes but smaller. I've tried about every powder short of SP2 with the TC II and found the solution was the Dawson Comp. Yeah, to combat the Barbel heavy comp I just threw an aluminum guide rod in. Actually I don't consider the Dawson that heavy compared to some other comps I have had, like the one that STI put on the Competitor before the TruBore, now that is a Red Snapper fishing weight.

Seriously I would not go whaking on Bob's comp, it is a pretty good design, but poke a couple holes 1/2" back down the barrel, and you probably got a winner. My smith call's them #3 holes for the number on his drill index. And if you didn't get it, don't wast a lot of time with figuring out a load drill it then dink around with powders.

• 6 years later...