Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

586-8 and 686-6 Rebound Slider anomaly.. Or not?

RevolverJockey

I am almost scared to post this.

So I was at the range today and struck up a conversation with and older gentleman who seemed very knowledgeable about revolvers, including the 686(-6) plus he was shooting. He explained he was having some trouble installing a spring kit he had ordered. He said when he opened up the slide plate that it wasn't possible to install the rebound spring because the "rebound slider isn't in the same place as you would expect like on other Smith and Wesson revolvers; it's completely different.". He said even with the tool it couldn't be done so he only replaced the main spring. I know spring kits always get sold as "K, L and N frame" kits. I have a Model 1902 with a leaf spring trigger return system but I thought when they went to the model 1905 the shifted to a regular slider. I have a Model 1905 (made in 1920) and the slider looks like it would fit any modern K frame. Is there something unique to a 586 or 686 that would require a different return spring system? He was a nice guy and I didn't want to tell him I thought he was mistaken, but I very much wanted to run up to my truck for my hollow grounds and rebound slider tool and pop the side plate off and take a look. Can anyone speak to this one way or the other? Please be kind,

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Got my first revo, my first S&W about 30 years ago.

Got my last, a 342 some months ago.

Between several 686, regular and Plus, 629,547,617,646 ecc.

Rebound slide was always in the same place as in an old (1899 or so) S&W exploded drawing.

Lots of old guys think they're experts on S&W revolvers. The worst are those who tell you they attended the "S&W Armorer's School" 35 years ago. In reality, they don't know their "slider" from a hole in the ground.

(That was nice enough, right? Here, I'll add a smiley face just to be sure....)

:)

In his defense. It isn't like Smith hasn't made a different design - just not in the last 100 years. More than anything I just wanted to help him out with spring install.

1902 US Navy. (1903)

5A99F866-4DF7-4329-A917-49F992679FE8-5053-00000475385527AF.jpg

1905 4th change hand ejector (1920)

4DDDFB9E-A593-4C26-A467-69356B8E2A26-5053-000004749AB42648.jpg

You guys confirmed what I pretty much already knew but thanks,

Lee