Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BULGE BUSTER?

jonb.

I will check my bulge buster instructions, but I'm pretty sure it says you can use it with loaded ammo. That is why the "pusher" piece is hollowed out in the middle, so it doesn't push on the primer.

For 9x19 (Luger, para, NATO) use the 9x18 makarov FCD and bulge buster!

I just downloaded and read the instructions, and nowhere does it say anything about using it with live ammo.

Where do you get the FCD for the Mak? Lee doesn't make it.

FYI the rim diameter for the 9mmP = 0.394" and the Mak = 0.392". Doing what you say, you would be sizing down the rim.

I managed to find the instruction sheet for the Bulge Buster and it says it's okay to size loaded ammo...

5u7ypuse.jpg

Although I have to admit that I am not sure where I got the info on using a different FCD with the bulge buster for 9mm Luger. I will keep looking!

Had excellent results with Lee's U die in 40 S@W loading Range brass. I've seen at least ten S-I pistols that wouldn't run start running by going to the U die. I've used the U die in both my 650 and 550 presses. Seems to work better in 40S@W than some of the other calibers I load. The standard Lee carbide sizer is in the first stage on every other caliber I load. Lee's sizer will size closer to the extractor groove than other brands and has an excellent primer punch design. If your breaking punches there's junk in your cases. I haven't broken two punches in the last five years and that's thousands of rounds loaded. Most of the time the design of the punch will allow it to move up. A simple tap with a wrench or small hammer will get the press running again.

You must lube cases with the U die. I use petroleum jelly and just a small amount. Any build up of lube on the powder funnel and your using to much.

I will get an few cases during the run with chigger bites on the gase mouth because the opening in the U die is smaller than other dies.

These are easily picked out with a chamber gauge.

For me The U die has worked Great, shooting three Limited pistols as well a two S@W Revolvers. It's a cheap fix that works without the wasted time and expense of a push through die.

FireFightJay:

I read the instructions again, and sure enough - resized or loaded which I still wouldn't do.

The 9mm Mak Carbide Factory Crimp Die isn't on there web site nor is it in the 2012 catalogue.

Okay here's the deal. I will definitely be loading moly bullets they are cheap and the saving adds up in the long run I also prefer how my gun runs them over jacketed ammo (soft shooting). So with that said I will not be using the Lee FCD on my crimp station only as a push through will this die affect the shape of my moly rounds undersizing them? According to cocobolo they will. That said as much as I want this to be an economical venture I do not want to buy twice so if the GRX is the only viable option for what I'm loading so be it.

Now as far as my U die goes I am now under the suspicion that my cases are losing their shape in the belling or crimp station due to the fact they are undersizing the case so much I am actually crushing my bullets a little at the weakest point WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN GLOCKED. So I am going to make a final effort today to load some .40 using the Udie while taking my seat die back a little, and easing on the crimp just a hair more; the U die is already making contact with my shell plate and will not go any lower. If this does not work (I am of the opinion that it will not) I am purchasing the GRX or the B BUSTER. So please I just need final guidance on which push through will work the best with moly rounds in mind if you take away the price difference. THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

Oh on a last note in regards to using the push through with loaded rounds I've watched it done on a bunch of you tube video's, read it in other peoples posts, and in other forums so I trust that unless I slam the press down while ensuring there is something in the hollowed out area of the seat to strike the primer I will survive as well; if not another one falls to Darwin's theory (yes I know Herbert Spencer coined the phrase and Darwin just made it better known)

Edited by jonb.

...The 9mm Mak Carbide Factory Crimp Die isn't on there web site nor is it in the 2012 catalogue.

It's a special order custom die, costs $30 to have Lee make one. Which is not horrible, but I'm not going to buy one.

Thanks.

Jonb,

That's a heck of a post, so I'll try to touch on several things.

-if you are talking about putting loaded rounds through the bulge buster or grx, they will do the same thing that the FCD does, they will likely swage your bullets.

-I HIGHLY recommend using the BB or GRX before loading your ammo.

-it sounds like you are worried about working the brass at the web... As do I. I will tell you what I do and you can make your own decision.

1. Clean my brass

2. Put it through the Bulge Buster

3. Size it using a standard Lee sizing die, but with the sizing die adjusted so it only sizes the 2/3 of the case (leaving the web sized the least amount possible.

4.finish loading like normal (powder through expander, bullet seating, crimping with a Lee taper crimp, non FCD)

This has a couple of advantages...

-all rounds will chamber

-the safety end of the case gets worked the least

-no need for an undersize die over working brass and requiring extra case belling.

-good neck tension with minimal "coke bottle" effect

YMMV

Jonb,

That's a heck of a post, so I'll try to touch on several things.

-if you are talking about putting loaded rounds through the bulge buster or grx, they will do the same thing that the FCD does, they will likely swage your bullets.

-I HIGHLY recommend using the BB or GRX before loading your ammo.

-it sounds like you are worried about working the brass at the web... As do I. I will tell you what I do and you can make your own decision.

1. Clean my brass

2. Put it through the Bulge Buster

3. Size it using a standard Lee sizing die, but with the sizing die adjusted so it only sizes the 2/3 of the case (leaving the web sized the least amount possible.

4.finish loading like normal (powder through expander, bullet seating, crimping with a Lee taper crimp, non FCD)

This has a couple of advantages...

-all rounds will chamber

-the safety end of the case gets worked the least

-no need for an undersize die over working brass and requiring extra case belling.

-good neck tension with minimal "coke bottle" effect

YMMV

The only loaded rounds I want to do will be those that have failed case gauge. I will be incorporating the push thru in prep.

• 3 weeks later...

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Midway was out of bulge busters so I ran with a GRX Die and I bought a cheapo Lee single stage press along with this I ditched the Udie and went with the normal dillon sizing die.

FIRST Chocobolo had it right on the money this sucker takes care of bulged brass quick and easy. Out of 300 loaded I had 1 round that would not chamber check even after running it through the grx after so into the pulled pile it went. I also salvaged 97 rounds from my pull pile by running them through the GRX as well.

Pricing it out the lee setup would have been about $27 dollars cheaper but after seeing how much play, and how paint was already chipping off the single stage from Lee, and the issues I had with the Udie from Lee I think the extra $27 dollars is worth it.

Thanks to all that chimed in on this.

• 3 weeks later...