Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loose plunger tube on 1911

marc_cesa

i shoot a gold cup trophy. had about 2000 rounds fired from it. My problem is that i have already replaced the stock plunger tube because it came loose after 500 rounds and i replaced it with an ed brown. The ed brown plunger tube is loose again. Want to know if anybody has any idea about my problem before i go to a gunsmith. Right now, i just sanded the inside of the left grip so that the notch at the top of the grip pushes on the plunger tube and keeps it from moving. The plunger tube gets loose every time i engage the thumb safety. But havent had any malfunction yet while firing.

Have you checked to see if the thumb safety is making contact with the plunger tube ?? I am sure that the safety hitting the tube would cause it to come unstaked..

When restaking the tube a bit of red lok-tite under it will help also..

I had a plunger tube come loose on a SA single stack. My smith was able to re-stake it. I turns out, in these modern days of saving money in production, the inside end of the plunger tube mounting holes holes have minimal / no bevel to allow the plunger tube pins to squish out into when swaged. So the only force holding the tube is the compression in the straight walled hole and not the "cone shape" that would form on the end of the pins if the hole had the proper bevel. Take the gun to your 'smith and have him re-stake it.