Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New acceptance speech rule

DarthMuffin

OK, anyone who was at the LPR awards knows why, but can I propose a new rule?

Acceptance speeches are fixed time, 120 seconds using a shot timer. "Extra words" are a procedural which affects your score ;-)

Seriously though, congrats to the winners and special thanks to the ROs (who all started early, worked through lunch, and stayed late) for the great match.

Edited by DarthMuffin

Well, I am a bit biased. I like seeing an articulate winner being able to express themselves in a cogent manner.

Additionally, I have know Blake's dad for a few years. I have had the honor of shooting with him during a weekday indoor match outside of Baton Rouge.

Blake did an awesome job up there.

Jessie was good also.

In fact, Blake and Jessie were the only highlights of the evening.

The things I liked best about the speeches:

Randi acknowledging that Svetlana beat her in the match and how unfortunate it was that such a minor misunderstanding of the USPSA rules bumped her into Open.

Eric Grauffel being offered the opportunity to speak after getting his trophy and declining saying that the "National Champion should make the speech" (or words to that effect).

Blake's speech was very heavy on the sponsors but that's fine, he earned his time on the podium and used it to thank everyone who helped and supported him along the way.

TGO ribbing Phil every few minutes... :D

I agree with pjb45, it's nice when the winners make the effort to say something articulate. An incredible amount of hard work leads up to that moment, they should enjoy it... even better if they have something interesting to say that the audience can enjoy too. The evening inevitably runs too long, but the champions' speeches are a tiny fraction of that time, and after all, the awards are what we're all there to see. (Well, that and it's nice just to hang out once the stress is over, and maybe have a really large beer.)