Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Press Choice

I live behind enemy lines (Chicago Suburbs) so there doesn't seem to be a ton of reloaders in my area to deal with in person. I am looking to make my bulk reloading a little easier for .223 and have been looking at the 1050 pretty hard. I've read through quite a few posts here since I've been reading here over the last few months and understand how people can get frustrated when people ask the same questions over and over again. I'm currently a member of precision shooting forums, but obviously do not run in to many guys there who use Dillon presses because of the type of ammo they load. I currently load my precision ammo on a Forster press, and am doing my progressive work on a LnL AP with case feeder and bullet feeder, but am getting tired of swaging at the least convenient times on my Super Swage. I also don't like having the occasional primer bind things up when I have tight primer pockets, nor do I like having to handle every singe .223 bullet when doing a large run. I'm looking at ordering a 1050 in the next few months plus a Mr Bullet feeder when their rifle collator is readily available. I've been saving for some time (disabled retired Army pension isn't much), and am curious if anyone has saved for a while and then been disappointed with their purchase. I want to ensure that if I purchase this, the maintenance costs won't be bad over the long-run. Also, I understand that the priming on the down-stroke is amazing, but does the machine make easy work of tight pockets? I'm also curious as to whether the swaging rod on the 1050 can over-do its job; I've felt that my Super Swage has a tendency to do this with mixed head stamps.

If you have ANY thoughts of reloading other calibers, rifle or pistol, order a 650 with a casefeeder. Caliber conversions and tool heads are MUCH less expensive and as has already been said you get the Lifetime No BS Warranty.

Pat

Thanks for the advice. I'm already set up to load .357 Sig, 9mm, .40, 45, and .223 on the Hornady progressive. I'm just curious if the juice is worth the squeeze on the 1050 over the long run. I'm assuming so, but I don't know any people who actually have dedicated one to .223.

gimpy,

I see you're asking these reasonable questions; but, really seems to me, you "gots the I wants gotta haves", so never mind sorting through reasonable answers to reasonable questions -- just go for it and find out!

Edited by aviatrix

Only regret I have after getting the 1050 was I tried a RL550 and XL650 for some of the other calibers I reload for, got rid of them and will do the 6 calibers I shoot on the 1050 plus 1 time run of 500 rds of 300 Savage for the family back home, So guess if it were me the LnL would be gone

Edited by angus6