Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the TS

kneelingatlas

So I took my TS out to the range today and wanted to share some things:

-I've got over 200 rounds downrange without a single misfire since I took out the factory recoil buffer.

-The stock recoil spring is the perfect weight for me (14# I think, please someone chime in if they know)

-I shoot trash better than I shoot targets

2012-10-09_13-02-46_544.jpg

I ran out of targets, so I picked a little white ammo box out of the trash, sent it out to ten yards and damn, looks pretty good!

I also wanted to try out a heavier and lighter recoil spring; I was ordering some springs for my buddy's Witness and ordered Henning's polished and tuned 10.75# recoil spring for the hell of it (it just so happens to be the exact same length as the TS spring with the same numbers of coils, which is weird because my 10mm Witness long slide spring had five more coils). It's clear to me, there are 'heavy spring' shooters and 'light spring' shooters who both have their own theories on cycle speed and recoil 'feel' but I employed the best piece of advise I've heard yet today: "take one well aimed shot, followed by another as fast as you can pull the trigger; don't even reacquire the sights, just shoot. If the second shot is high, your spring is too light, if the second shot is too low, the gun is over sprung.

So I shot double taps with the Henning spring (10.75#), the stock spring (14#?) and the spring from my CZ97B (16#?) and I'll be damned, the light spring lets the second shot high, the heavy spring left them low and the stock spring was perfect!

This gun is running fantastic now, the FTFs seem to be gone (knock on wood), the sights are on and the trigger feels better than ever (I polished the hammer strut, hammer and sear the other night).

• 3 weeks later...

OK, first, I'm a newbie to CZ's. I keep reading many complaints about the use of shock buffers. So, here's a comment...and a question: For many years (and do mean many) I ran shock buffers in my open 2011-style pistols solely to shorten the slide stroke. Any ejection problems were easily corrected by installing a tuned extended ejector. Currently, I'm shooting a CzeckMate without a buffer and a TS .40 with a buffer. No problems with either...and at my age (older than dirt!) my splits have slowed to the .20-range so a shortened slide stroke isn't a necessary or significant consideration.

Anyway, what's the problem with buffers and CZ's? Is it maybe just that the ejector on the cage is too short? Is it related to shooters with low-split times? Is it something that I'm too new to CZ's to know about... a case of I don't know what I don't know?

Anybody?

A-G

Its a secret. We can't tell you. :ph34r:

If you don't have problems no worries. It certainly won't hurt the gun. If you start having to clear FTEs and FTFs I would ditch it. I know very few people who run them and the decision seems based solely on reliability issues vs increased performance one way or the other.

Any ejection problems were easily corrected by installing a tuned extended ejector.

I certainly have noticed that the CZ ejector comes into contact with the cartridge significantly later in the stoke than the clones I've owned (Tanfo, IMI) which have a definite point jutting forward into the breech, but failure to eject was not my problem, rather failure to feed which seemed to be caused by insufficient slide momentum going into battery. Since the removing the buffer fixed the problem, I assume the longer stroke helps the slide develop the necessary momentum. I probably could have solved the problem with a tronger recoil spring, but I feel like the one I have is the perfect weight to bring the muzzle back down on target, but not dip below. At some point I plan to lighten the slide, so then I'll be back to square one again.

Currently, I'm shooting a CzeckMate without a buffer and a TS .40 with a buffer. No problems with either...

How does your Czechmate compare to your TS? Have you done any grip reduction on the TS? have you traded uppers to compare the frames? do you have OAL issues with 9Major loads?

Sorry for all the questions(you don't have to answer them all/any if you don't want to), but you're the first owner of both I've come across.

Any ejection problems were easily corrected by installing a tuned extended ejector.

I certainly have noticed that the CZ ejector comes into contact with the cartridge significantly later in the stoke than the clones I've owned (Tanfo, IMI) which have a definite point jutting forward into the breech, but failure to eject was not my problem, rather failure to feed which seemed to be caused by insufficient slide momentum going into battery. Since the removing the buffer fixed the problem, I assume the longer stroke helps the slide develop the necessary momentum. I probably could have solved the problem with a tronger recoil spring, but I feel like the one I have is the perfect weight to bring the muzzle back down on target, but not dip below. At some point I plan to lighten the slide, so then I'll be back to square one again.

Currently, I'm shooting a CzeckMate without a buffer and a TS .40 with a buffer. No problems with either...

How does your Czechmate compare to your TS? Have you done any grip reduction on the TS? have you traded uppers to compare the frames? do you have OAL issues with 9Major loads?

Sorry for all the questions(you don't have to answer them all/any if you don't want to), but you're the first owner of both I've come across.

Sorry about this...fat fingers and the hit the wrong button.

Edited by All-Gator

Atlas,

I haven't modified the grips yet...with the exception on installing a (CZC) wide left-hand safety. The ergonomics suit me fine. I do plan to undercut the trigger guard and the beavertail on the TS .40 to make it identical to the CzeckMate. I prefer the higher grip. I'll probably remove that pathetic rolled checkering on both of them...only for aesthetic reasons. Both are much heavier (and noticably feel more sturdy) than the 2011's I've been shooting; both seem to suck up the recoil; and both return to point of aim. I basically am an Open shooter so that last point is important to me with the TS .40. Not sure what else to compare.

As far as the OAL is concerned, it depends on the bullet I use. For years I've shot Zero 115 JHP's in a 9x23. I started off with them in the 9Major, but quickly turned to 125's loaded out only to 1.115 because any longer caused the bullet to foul the slide lock...even after modifying it. When I couldn't get more Zeros (who can?) I turned to Montana Gold 124 CMJ's. The different bullet profile allowed me to go to 1.120. This is over 7.6 grains of SP2 and WSR primers. While these OALs are to avoid fouling the slide lock, it also assisted in chambering with the short lead common to CZ's.

Problems with chambering can be due to the above...ie, the bullet contacting the lead of the barrel. It gets in the chamber ...but not all the way. Also a stong spring in the mag assures that the bullet is waiting up and aligned while a weak spring may not get the bullet up (and waiting) for the slide. It hits the hood of the barrel and sorta "stove pipes." Increasing the dwell time of the slide at full lock will also give the bullet more time to get up and aligned. A weaker recoil spring can do this, but, of course, has to be strong enough to produce sufficient forward momentum. Sometimes a reversed progressive spring will be the solution.

I think that got your questions. I hope it's not more than you wanted.

A-G

Edited by All-Gator

I hope it's not more than you wanted.

Never! Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty much the opposite: a limited shooter playing with the compensated 9mm upper I made for my TS (just for the fun of it for now). I also get my middle finger crammed up on the trigger guard, but before I start carving up my TS, I've toyed with the idea of selling the TS as a 9Major gun and buying a Czechmate (swapping my 40 upper to shoot Limited). I don't reload right now (two sons in daipers so the time is not worth it to me), so 9Major is really a pipe dream right now, but I might shoot a match in 9Minor just to see.

I wonder how many shooters bounce back and forth between Limited and Open? I should probably pick up a used Open gun, shoot it and pick one...

I hope it's not more than you wanted.

Never! Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty much the opposite: a limited shooter playing with the compensated 9mm upper I made for my TS (just for the fun of it for now). I also get my middle finger crammed up on the trigger guard, but before I start carving up my TS, I've toyed with the idea of selling the TS as a 9Major gun and buying a Czechmate (swapping my 40 upper to shoot Limited). I don't reload right now (two sons in daipers so the time is not worth it to me), so 9Major is really a pipe dream right now, but I might shoot a match in 9Minor just to see.

I wonder how many shooters bounce back and forth between Limited and Open? I should probably pick up a used Open gun, shoot it and pick one...

Atlas

My CzechMate came with three barrels (huh?) All with the same serial number as the frame and a kit to change it to an IPSC Standard configuration. All you have to do is take off the C-more, unscrew the comp (it's not glued on), slip on the provided front and rear sights, sight in, and you're off to the races. If I chose I could shoot it in Limited (minor). Go figure.

A-G