Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I really like Titegroup but is it overly dirty?

jkushner1

I am loading 9mm for production as follows:

147 grain super hard lead alloy bullet from a local bullet maker - Better Bullets Inc. - King of Prussia, PA (this aint no cowboy lead, can't mark it with the hardest fingernail scratch I can make - the shape is that of a 147 grain hollow point but without the hollow, just a flat tip where hole would begin)

3.3 grains of Titegroup

Chrono: 890-900 fps

Through: A Para LDA 18.9 Limited 9mm DA

Reliability: 100%

I HAVE NOTICED THOUGH that there seems to be an excessive amount of powder residue in the gun, mainly the around the inside of the gun, not the barrel (I subscribe to Wil Schuemann barrel cleaning schedule). Also a fair amount of smoke throws out the muzzle - little or no fire.

I don't think I'm making any changes but someone mentioned that VV320 would be cleaner another siad that 320 would be much more dirty. Another said that Titegroup is one of cleanest at much higher pressures.

Please relate you experience or add your advice.

Thanks,

Jon

Smoke is usually caused by bullet lube. Also most lead bullet loads leave more residue than jacketed. Have you tried the same loads with an enclosed base jacketed bullet (JHP, CMJ, etc) to see if it makes a difference in how clean they run?

I found that with my loads moving to Montana Gold CMJ's have dramatically cut the smoke and the residue of my rounds.

Jon,

the lead is probably 80% of your problem, but I gotta be honest, that's really a powderpuff load for 9mm. Any time you load down like that you've got to expect more residue. It's the lack of pressure that's doing it to ya, not necessarily the TG.

Crank that load up to about 145-150 and I'll bet it cleans right up. :)

I love tight group. I use it in my 40 loads also. I find it very clean. Old John

(9mm loads)

124 grain Rannier hp 3.8 tight group 1028 fps = 127 pf @ 85 degrees G 17L

124 grain Rannier hp 4.0 vv 320 1024 fps = 127 pf@ 85 degrees g 17L

124 grain Rannier hp 3.7 vv 320 963 fps = 119 pf@ 85 degrees G 17L

NMinzghor,

That's interesting. I have noticed the hot barrel but not to the extent of color changing. That's bad.

The most residue I notice is around the muzzle area. easily removed greenish/gray residue. I agree with EricW about the mouse-fart loads. You need to get the velociy up around 1050-1100. Give the powder enough pressure to fully combust. That should take care of most of your powder related nastiness. As far as the smoke goes. It is the lead bullets with thier associated lube. I don't know what smokes the most, the bullet or the lube, but smoke it does.

FWIW

dj

I checked what I am loading in my son's 9mm.

115 JHP with 4.6 gr of TG loaded to 1.10"

makes a nice peppy load that runs a G34 well.

dj

Edited by dajarrel

• 3 weeks later...
I am loading 9mm for production as follows:

147 grain super hard lead alloy bullet from a local bullet maker

3.3 grains of Titegroup

Chrono: 890-900 fps

Through: A Para LDA 18.9 Limited 9mm DA

Reliability: 100%

I am using the (almost) identical load but with 147 grain Hornady CMJ (it's a jacketed round nose bullet with a jacketed base) over 3.3 grains of Titegroup through a Glock 17. Not dirty to me, and no smoke at all, but this is my first stint in production (YMMV).

I highly recommend staying away from the lead bullets (for health and visibility/smoke reasons), but trying the same powder charge/bullet weight that I am. It's killer-diller (in my gun).

-Chet