Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Grip Installation Problem

sirveyr

I am attempting to put a new grip on my Eagle and I am having trouble getting the grip holes to line up with the frame holes. I thought that the new grip might be FUBAR, so I tried a second new grip. The second grip lined up just like the first one did. This led me to believe that the new grips need some "fitting", but before I started "fitting" anything, I thought that I would try to put the original grip back on. The original lined up just like the other two.

I have tied smacking the bottom of the grip with a hammer as shown in the Dawson reassembly video on Youtube, but it doesn't help. I am able to get one screw in, but I managed to bend the interior bushing of the second screw. The holes are only about the thickness of a business card away from lining up.

Am I missing something? Is there a secret trick to this? How much force is needed to get a grip back on the frame?

Try and check the grip in the area of the trigger guard. There is a recess in the frame that this section needs to sit in. Might need to trim that area to get it to fit in that recess.

Same problem, different gun...

SPS a copy fo STI..SVI..same set up though.

I used longer screws to start it off and get it to locate properly,you can get these to start at an angle instead of trying to start it straight with the original

short screws.

Hope this makes sense,

Malcolm.

I managed to bevel the top edge of the inner bushings and things finally slipped together. I need to get a longer screw like Malcom suggested, so that I can wiggle them into the frame easier. Thanks guys. :)

I managed to bevel the top edge of the inner bushings and things finally slipped together. I need to get a longer screw like Malcom suggested, so that I can wiggle them into the frame easier. Thanks guys. :)

Dawson sells a tool for pulling the bushings into place. As I recall, it goes for $15. Certainly more expensive than just a long screw, but it is quite nice and works perfectly.

Here is a Link

Edited by Jonathan Taliani

Once it's installed and you have shot it a hundred rounds or so recheck the grip screws. If they come loose it can cause the grip to crack.

Put a new grip on my Eagle and had to replace the magazine release, sometimes it's not a drop in installation.

Dawson sells a tool for pulling the bushings into place. As I recall, it goes for $15. Certainly more expensive than just a long screw, but it is quite nice and works perfectly.

Here is a Link

Thanks for the link! I have been looking for that tool. :)

Here is a Link

Thanks for the link! I have been looking for that tool. :)

Glad I could help! :cheers: