Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare parts

e-mishka

I have only ever broken a rear sight on a gun that had perhaps 75,000rds thru it. I replace extractors and extractor springs every 6000- 10,000rds...etc. Different weight hammer springs would come in handy. Spare front sight or fibre rod in case you loose them. Get a Henning or Eric firing pin. Spare firing pin spring. Some firing pin springs are longer or different lengths,...even from the factory!

I have a little Plano flat compartment fishing tackle box thing I got from Walmart that I carry an extractor, extractor spring, extractor pin, firing pin, fiber optic rod, spare front sight (just a stock one), recoil springs (the weight I'm currently running and 1 lighter), spare guide rod (stock one), trigger pin, trigger pin nut, and some grip screws in.

Looks like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Medium-Pro-Latch-Organizer/16351075

Then if its a big match I'll throw in one of my other guns just in case something crazy happens.

• 4 months later...

Mo and Nealio,

I just want a couple of stock (factory) type replacement pads as spare parts. I don't know if the Tanfos have a problem with these failing. With the current political climate, I thought a couple of $5-$10 spare base pads might keep my possibly soon to be grandfathered "high capacity" (at 14?) magazines running. I have cracked or otherwise damaged a few magazine base pads in the past on other designs. Most recently the S&W M&P which I have to carry at work.

Right now, I have two kids in college and while money isn't exactly in short supply, I'd rather pay $5 to $10 instead of $30 for a spare base pad. I know the $30 pads are really neat and would love to have them, but right now I am just looking for a couple of factory pads

I have yet (knock on wood) to break a slide stop in my production guns. That is using low PF loads,..average loads out to 135-140 PF,..and some factory loads out to 140+ pf. I also have about 6000rds+ of .40 Major thru my standard gun...and use a 10.75lb recoil spring at 175pf. My open gun takes a beating...the guide rod plug looks a mess, but no broken slide stop. I broke a rear sight on a higher round count 9mm stock2. (70,000rds+)