Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bosses who hold you down

Merlin Orr

My main employer is resorting to extortion in an attempt to prevent me from taking a new assignment. After working 90% of the past 20 years with the same company my present boss has told me that if I leave my assignment here to go to another (for the same company) he will reassign my ongoing work to someone else and I will be unable to collect for any work not completed that I have done to date. As I handle complex files/assignments some of my files may take months to close. These same files also have huge amounts of time invested in them before they are settled.

Instead of allowing me to keep doing the few hours a month of work it takes to maintain the work his position is that if I leave - I am screwed.

SO - it has suddenly come to the point of either leaving several months of work on the table or just sitting on my ass and waiting waiting waiting for the old work I have to conclude.

As an independent contractor the decisions I make mean keeping my bills current or living on credit cards!

Document everything. If the company has one, consult with human resources or consult with someone more senior in the company. If all else fails, consult w/ an employment law attorney - your local county bar association should have a no or low cost referral service.

One day I came home, tired of all the C!@#. I told my wife and she looked at me and said quit. I did and now I get paid to shoot. Yea it took a year and some credit card debt but now I have my dream job! Some call it a mid life crisis I call it " I'm done taking your s@#!.

Ivan

SCS Vegas :D

Merlin--

DO look carefully into this situation for legal leverage and such. Surely there is something buried in this situation that protects you. Consult a legal outside source as well.

I quit my silly little office job in April not entirely because I was doing almost nothing in the office each day but, in addition, because of a betrayal that occurred underneath it all. I just said to myself, "...enough is enough!!!" The situation was so bogus (and, to me, humiliating) I could scarcely believe they did it. Some people will do ANYTHING to get their way. And lives are ruined in the meantime.

Merlin - to follow up on my post, it looks like the bar assocation in your county is

Bi-Stone Bar Association

316 W. Hwy 84

Fairfield, TX 75840

Phone: 903-389-3577

Fax: 903-389-8103

It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see if they have a referral service. Here is what looks like a list of all the Texas bar associations (cached from Yahoo). If you want to email or PM me, pls feel free.

-David