Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Medkit at matches

TommyD

Do any of you bring a medkit with you? Dark Angel Medical has some pretty neat kits and the components are all really easy to use. Weighing in at less than a pound, I am considering putting this on my belt in the 6 o clock position. Shooting sports are rated among the safest sports in regards to injuries...but still, we are shooting live ammo.

What do you think?

I keep a small first aid kit in my range bag and a larger trauma/first aid kit in all of my vehicles. For a larger match, I think it is a good idea to have a match medic, which we do. In fact, the match medic had to wash out and bandage up two fingers on the MD at Mile-High. Having one designated avoids the potential delay and imparts some comfort, mostly to the injured person.

When I worked the race tracks, the majority of the medical calls were for normal everyday issues, rarely due to a crash. Regardless of the situation though, most injured people feel "safer and calmer" when someone identified as a "medic" arrives.

Yeah havent decided if im going to go with the DARK kit or not. If I had it on me and God forbid i caught some gnarly richochet, other guys on my squad cant always be counted on to know how to use my kit. Might just go with a medium kit that has more capabilities that I can keep in the car, at the range, etc

Decided to get the DARK kit and keep it on my belt, 6 o clock. God forbid if anything happens at a match, I know where it is and so does everyone else. Also it will come in handy if im ever alone on the range (300 acres out in the country) and need to work on myself.

Dark Angel Medical has a fall sale for $10 off! http://www.darkangelmedical.com/

I'll also work on having a more comprehensive bag and learn more about the proper procedures for using those supplies. Check out the articles at http://www.itstactical.com/topics/medcom/

They also have great gear and articles over at the main page

Edited by TommyD

I'll also work on having a more comprehensive bag and learn more about the proper procedures for using those supplies.
The best medical supply kit made is useless without the knowledge to go with it.

While I'm not advocating or endorsing this particular class, it represents the kind of class that I believe every sportsmans club should consider offering from time to time. And I have to admit that while I was a certified EMT at one time, that was many years ago and by all rights I should take a refresher course one of these days.