Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

overlays

mhop

due to other recent threads have range officals been using overlays incorrectly per the rules?

9.6.8 Scoring overlays approved by the Range Master must be used exclusively,

as and when required, to verify and/or determine the applicable

scoring zone of hits on paper targets.

On looking at this rule it is saying that overlay's are to be used only for determining the scoring zone of a hit on a target not to determine if there are 2 hits in the same hole.

When I took my RO class, Troy taught us to use 2 overlay's to look for evidence of a 2nd diameter on a bullet hole.

I think in the rule stated above, the work "exclusively" is referring to the tool used to determine the scoring zone hit.

Only overlays, (the ones issued by USPSA and no other) not scoring plugs or any other means, are to be used to determine scoring hits. Using an overlay to determine if a hit is a double is doing exactly what that statement says, determining the applicable scoring zone of hits on paper targets. We look for a partial bullet diameter, or radius, with an overlay, to determine what scoring zone was hit. A double is no different: the RO is trying to determine if there is more than one partial bullet diameter in a scoring zone, even if it's in the same scoring zone as the obvious hit.