Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Length

cardboardkiller

What length mags you are guys using? I'm going to get a shorty 9 built, but I'm stumped as to what length tubes to get besides one 170mm.

I'm going to use Dawson basepads, Grams springs and followers and SV tubes.

Here is my thinking:

170mm to start with

140mm for second

126mm's for the last two

Or should I skip the 140 and outfit with 126's to eliminate the chance for over insertion?

My vote is 1 or 2 170mm mags. Send it to Bevin Grams, let him work his magic on it/them. I just got mine back. Holds 28rds of super or 29rds of super comp. :)

Then you'll need 4 or 5 140's. I use the Arrendondo kits and get 24rds in an STI/Dawson prepped tube. I might just for fun try one of Dawson's 25rd kit.

I wouldn't spend the money for any 126's. My used gun came with 3 126's. I ground down the sides of the factory STI base pads to fit my Ice mag well. They fit flush, I use them to start a stage and reload to(if needed) a 24rd mag. This way I'm not always dropping my prepped 140's in the gravel and/or mud.

Grams did some mag work for me about 2 years ago and I'm sure they'll see my next set of mags.

I won't be carrying anymore than 4 mags on my belt during a stage. I use 4 mag holders and hand carry my starting mag to the line. I've never shot a stage that took 60 rounds and if I get 2 mag malf's during a stage I'm pretty well done anyway.

I may go with a couple of 170's, 3-140's and 2-126's to keep my options open.

I carry 3 mags on my belt. I have 5 140's, 3 126's and a 170. I will be investing in another 170 soon. Why? for the same reason I have 5 140's. If you start having a problem with a mag or two, or drop one, feed lips down on the rocks and screw it up. This way you have other mags, enough mags, available to finish/leave for a match.

Mag problems always develope during the last practice session before a big match. ;)

Get 2 170's and 4-5 140. Don't even mess with a 126 mag. With the 9mm you'll get 28 with a 170, Grams springs and followers and a Dawson pad. You can get 29 with a grams pad and Bevan tuning them from what he's posted. You can get 29 with a Dawson pad, Wolff Spring and SV comp follower also. On the 140's get the SV tube, Dawson Para base pad and Grams spring and follower. No dumbassed Arrendondo insert to tie up the spring and you get a guaranteed 24.