Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feed Problem

jrb06

My questuion is can just changing the power factor in the load (going higher) cause a problem with feeding and not going into battery? Gun is a full size 9mm STI EGW comp no holes 7#spring. Loads are the same as in OAL, bullet type, and brass. The powder is different went from Auto Comp at a 173 PF to HS-6 and a 182 PF per chrony data. With the Auto Comp load gun ran perfect for a 160 round match on Sat. but when using it last night with the HS-6 loads it would not go completly into battery about every 3-4 rounds.

Could the higher pressure be causing the brass to swell and grip tighter causing the slide to be delayed some trying to rip the case out before complete powder burn and loose it's momentum and not coming back to fully chamber the round or just coming back to hard and fast causing it to not work smooth? Your thioughts.

Is the HS 6 load compressed? When I loaded with 3N37 it was compressed. My rounds would lengthen as time went by causing the oal to get much longer than when I first loaded them. I know some don't believe that is possible but it happened to me because I would check oals after loading then check them the next day and they grew.

Bullets are Zero 125JHP no shaving of jacket

Chamber is clean only had the 160 rounds of Auto Comp but check it to be sure

Spring is a bit light but it has been running up to this point with the Auto Comp load load

Will have to check the compressed load theory but don't think so OAL is 1.165 with the Zero 125JHP

Like i said it seems strange that the only thing that is differnt was the change in the powder load. Plan on going out tomorrow and try the Auto Comp and then the HS-6 back to back and see if it works or if I have a problem. Will update.

Is the HS 6 load compressed? When I loaded with 3N37 it was compressed. My rounds would lengthen as time went by causing the oal to get much longer than when I first loaded them. I know some don't believe that is possible but it happened to me because I would check oals after loading then check them the next day and they grew.

It sure is possible. I experienced it with 4756 in 9 Major when I first started Open.

Don't know to many open guns that will run major loads with a 7 lb spring. A 7 lb can wear out in less than 20 rounds or just not work at all.

Don't know to many open guns that will run major loads with a 7 lb spring. A 7 lb can wear out in less than 20 rounds or just not work at all.

I missed that part. I tried a 7lb spring in my gun and it worked great right after the gun was cleaned but two matches later it was struggling to go into battery. That may be a big part of it.

Update

Ran 50 rounds last night with the new 8 pound spring and no problems, only had one problem and that was with the 170mm SPS mag that I have never had work and never use it but thought i would try it just for fun again nose dive city. I have spoken with Grams Engineering on this and he says he can tune it to make it work not sure it is worth it though.