Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What hammer/sear for first time do-it your selfer?

Got my new gun with the EGW ignition package. Creepy initially, but a respectable pull of about 2.25-2.5 pounds. I'm no trigger queen, so I can live with it, but I'm not doing backflips like I did when the same gunsmith put an EGW sear and EGW/Koenig hammer in my Limited gun. I'm hoping the creep and grit will abate after much dry firing and shooting.

After actually seeing this hammer, I think I had the same thing in my old Open gun (see Supertanker pictures in the Gallery). It was 36 ounces and smooth.

After years of honing and fine tuning 1911 trigger jobs, I finally found a true drop in trigger system. Go to Brownells.com and look at the Nowlin Drop In Sets, specifically the Pro Match. The catalog lists it at 3.5#s. but with a 17# mainspring mine measured out at 1.8# along with being super crisp. I've put these in 4 1911'1 (SVI, STI, and Springfield) over the last several years and had nothing but success.

Whatever combo you buy, remember to NOT mess with the [flat] sear spring. You need tension on the sear and especially on the disconnector to keep the gun from going full auto.

The reputable makers will sell you one that is as light as they dare plus a small safety factor. My two cents - you can't buy better stuff than EGW, only as good.

My .02: Agreed the Nowlin and EGW are both excellent. I would stay away from the injection molded hammers from any manufacturer. I installed one of a nationally recognized brand in my STI about a year ago and it cracked around the pin hole after about 8,000 rounds. Spend plenty on the trigger parts. A good trigger pays dividends every time you press it.

I have to vote for the Cylinder'n Slide set.

They drop in and with a little spring tunning and

adjustment on hammer, you can have around a 2lb

trigger job with little creep, slight overtravel, crips break,

that last. I have over 25,000 rounds on mine and it still

breaks crisp at 2lbs.

My choise for Limited& Standard(IPSC) :wub:

Works fine, after 10K no probs at all :) C&S rules, for me at least....

My best triggers have been with the EGW stuff..my two open guns have the EGW sear and Koenig hammer..both break at 1.5 pounds..my oldest gun about 2 years old now, is still holding fine..

My limited gun had a extreme engineering ultra light sear and an old CMC McCormick (square hammer) and it broke at 2.25 with no problems..it had a little creep, but after boosting it, it all went away..

had one trigger which was the extreme engineering sear and the nowlin speed demon hammer drop in a springfield 9mm SS gun at 1.25..the return sucked so stiffened the sear spring up to 2pounds and it was beautiful.

I now tend to stick with the EGW hard sear and the Koenig hammer..

• 4 weeks later...