Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide Rod Help

Ed K

I have a 2 piece stainless guide rod in my Para 16-40. It seems that after every match it comes unscrewed to within a couple of threads. Even with Blue loctite. One of these days it going to end up down range in the black hole where flying gun parts go. Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Ed,

Sorry it got all stuck. The secret to the loctite products is that the parts to be secured are absolutely free of dirt and oil. The dirt is the easiest to remove but the oil is best removed with your favorite solvent such as brake cleaner, alcohol or acetone. Be mindful to have adequate ventilation and do be aware that alcohol and acetone are very flammable.

FWIW

dj

Thanks. I think the 1 piece is the answer I'm loking for. Now for a newbe question.

Can I get a 1 piece that will just drop in, or will I need to take it to a gunsmith to get fitted?

Take your two piece rod, clean everthing real well, epoxy it together, remove any excess epoxy. Cut the ridge out of the rear of your dust cover that keeps the plug from coming out the rear(dremmel tool with small sanding drum). Assemble your pistol, lock the slide back, mark and drill the hole for the dissambely pin. Your pistol now comes apart and goes together just like one with a bullbarrel, one piece rod and reverse plug. Live well everafter. Larry

If you use a center punch and bugger up just one thread and remove all lube from the threads you should be problem free..Have done this to several two piece rods and have not had any problems for the last twenty years..

I have a 2 piece stainless guide rod in my Para 16-40.

Why? My 1640 has the standard one piece FLGR. If you mean that the rod is coming unscrewed from the base, mine did the same thing. George Wedge will send you a new one. Don' t waste time with Loctite if it keeps coming out (mine never held either).

BTW: The stock Para FLGR rod in my 1640 is slightly larger in diameter (about .010") than a "standard" 1911 rod so get a replacement from Para if yours is not right. The Para reverse bushing is sized to match their rod. If you install an aftermarket guide rod/reverse bushing (smaller than stock), the fit into the cutout on the Para barrel bushing will be loose.