Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Over-insertion?

Rob D

I just got a new Edge a few weeks ago, and I'm having a problem with my mags dropping free. It only seems to happen when I seat a magazine really hard, but the magazine sticks in the gun, the mag release button binds up, and my trigger gets really stiff all the sudden. I've noticed the trigger pull also changes drastically when I shoot off of a rest and let the weight of the gun sit on the magazine. I've removed the mag well, magazine catch, and follower and the mags still seem to bind up when I seat them firmly.

As far as I can tell, the mags are binding on the bottom edges of the frame where the magazines starts to narrow. I'm starting to see a crimp line form across each of my mags in that area. Is this common? Do I need to reshape my mags or is something else going wrong? What is actually supposed to stop the magazine from going in too far and binding up on that taper?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rob D

The grip screws are tight,and I even beveled the lower edge of the bushings to make sure they weren't rubbing. I'm using brand new STI mags with dawson base pads. One of them is a tuned mag from dawson, but it seems to stick just as badly as the rest.

SV-Cop, I thought the same thing, but as far as I can tell no part of the trigger mechanism sticks out into the magazine channel.

Edited by Rob D

The grip screws are tight,and I even beveled the lower edge of the bushings to make sure they weren't rubbing. I'm using brand new STI mags with dawson base pads. One of them is a tuned mag from dawson, but it seems to stick just as badly as the rest.

SV-Cop, I thought the same thing, but as far as I can tell no part of the trigger mechanism sticks out into the magazine channel.

It's not supposed to for sure, but it seems odd that the trigger is affected when a magazine is inserted. Does it do it will all of your mags? Have you removed the slide and inspected the movement of the trigger bow/assembly in relation to the magazine channel?

I'm pretty sure this gun already has a dawson mag catch. The trigger bar itself seems to be coming too far back and hitting the magazine. The over travel stop is adjusted all the way out. I think the trigger is touching the mag where the two pieces of metal come together and attach to the trigger pad itself. Should I file this area, or is it possible that the dimensions of my trigger are incorrect? I'm totally new to 1911/2011's so I don't exactly what the parts are called.

Thanks again

I removed some material from the trigger bow and the trigger is no longer affected when the mags get stuck. Now I just need to get them to stop sticking. Does anyone remove material from the lower inside edge of the frame? Maybe my mags are just out of shape. I want to start shooting matches with this gun in a week or two. I really need to get this issue sorted out ASAP. Anybody have any ideas?

I removed some material from the trigger bow and the trigger is no longer affected when the mags get stuck. Now I just need to get them to stop sticking. Does anyone remove material from the lower inside edge of the frame? Maybe my mags are just out of shape. I want to start shooting matches with this gun in a week or two. I really need to get this issue sorted out ASAP. Anybody have any ideas?

Do you know anyone else in your area that shoots a 2011? If so, I'd recommend trying their mags in your gun and vice versa. Basically, every possibility you can eliminate from the equation gets you one step closer to a solution. It's slow going but sometimes that is the only way to figure it out. Since it is happening with multiple mags, it is unlikely that the tubes are the issue, but it is certainly possible.

As to removing material, are you referring to the frame (correct term usage) or the grip (incorrect term usage)? Most people remove material from the inside of the grip to blend it to the magwell. I have never seen material removed from the inside of the frame.

Do you know anyone else in your area that shoots a 2011? If so, I'd recommend trying their mags in your gun and vice versa. Basically, every possibility you can eliminate from the equation gets you one step closer to a solution. It's slow going but sometimes that is the only way to figure it out. Since it is happening with multiple mags, it is unlikely that the tubes are the issue, but it is certainly possible.

As to removing material, are you referring to the frame (correct term usage) or the grip (incorrect term usage)? Most people remove material from the inside of the grip to blend it to the magwell. I have never seen material removed from the inside of the frame.

My Dad shoots a 2011. I'll borrow some of his mags and see how it goes. I'm referring to the frame itself. They seem to be binding up high where the mag starts to narrow. It feels like the mags are just going too far into the gun. I'm wondering what is supposed to stop them from doing that.

My Dad shoots a 2011. I'll borrow some of his mags and see how it goes. I'm referring to the frame itself. They seem to be binding up high where the mag starts to narrow. It feels like the mags are just going too far into the gun. I'm wondering what is supposed to stop them from doing that.

Dawson Posi-lock mag release.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Dawson Posi-lock mag release.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Haven't had a chance to try different mags yet, but I just changed out the dawson mag release for the STI one. The mags still stick but now the mag release depresses half way when they do it.

• 2 weeks later...

It is very possible for mags to over-insert and get caught by the mag catch in the 2011 platform. The best thing you can do is polish your mag release button. The way the STI version is made, it's pretty easy for that hole in the magazine to easily go past the mag catch and the mag body will then push the mag catch/release if it's over-inserted. Yours is getting caught because of the spring pressure of the mag catch and the lack of polish on one or both parts.

Dawson's posi lock mag catch looks to be a perfect fix for this malady (and the reason Dave Dawson came up with it) and there is a very cool video for it on their web site that explains how it works better than I can write it.

You should fix it quick either way because this "over-insertion" can also easily break ejectors if the lips on the mag are already very close to the ejector on full insertion.

• 5 months later...

Does this look right? Should the part circled in red be sticking out into the magazine channel? I installed a new trigger, and didn't have this problem for a few weeks, and then it started happening again. I'm wondering if I'm actually bending my trigger bar by pulling back too hard on the trigger during dry fire. Does that seem possible/probable to anyone else?

Here's a short recap of my problem for anyone that doesn't want to read the whole thread:

when I insert a mag, especially a fulled loaded mag, my trigger will have excessive resistance on the first shot. You can visibly see the mag twitch when the trigger finally does break, but the trigger is normal on the rest of the shots. For some reason my magazines are contacting my trigger.

stigrip.jpg

Edited by Rob D

I would have to check mine, and may depend on the angle when you look in, as I remember seeing it.

As for bending the yoke... possible yes, probable no.

I have had issues on an STI in the past cause by a crack in the grip, this could cause the affect you are seeing since a small crack would allow the grip to flex and hold the magazine (and could affect the trigger touching the magazine).

Please check yours. I can look straight down that edge of my magazine channel, and the back of the trigger still protrudes outward. I'm at my wits end with this gun. If I can't get it running flawlessly in the next few weeks, I'm going to give up and go back to Glocks, at least for the rest of this season.

I know STI makes some of the best competition guns in the world, but my experience with them has been AWFUL. My first competition gun was a spartan that would fail to go into battery twice on every stage. I got rid of it and shot glocks for 3 years, then got this Edge to shoot limited, and I've had all kinds of trouble with it. How can they sell you a $2000 competition gun that has this many issues? It's insanely frustrating.