Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ATHENS

zorba

Yes indeed. The opening was fascinating, entertaining & professionally executed, and I salute the organisers. If the rest of the games can go as smoothly as the opening ceremonies, it's going to be a truly fantastic series of events, which will bring much deserved honour and pride to Greeks all over the world.

As an aside, Greece is one of IPSC's most dynamic and active regions, and it has gone from strength to strength since the change of administration in 1997.

Not for nothing, but personally I'm boycoting the coverage this year. The Greeks cut a lot of corners to pull it of, one of them being the mass poisonings of thouthands of stray animals. I have no problem with putting stray animals down, but just spreading rat posison all over town and letting animals die a horible death is far from humane. It made me sick to hear that the opening ceremony contained a ode to human conciousness after what they did to get there.

Maybe I should make this a what I hate rant.

Vlad

Vlad,

Your post is the first I've heard about alleged mass poisoning of animals. After doing some (admittedly quick) research on the web, I can find many articles expressing concern about the possibility, and numerous quotes from Greek officials denying it will occur, but no evidence to confirm that it actually did occur.

Do you have any more information?

You have a PM. It can be a bit graphic so I'll leave it up to you if you want to post it. If you need more details let me know and I'll dig it up.

Note that the page I sent you is a local organization. I do not have first hand information so I suppose it could all be lies and propaganda but it seems to me that there is quite a bit to it, with some confirmation from US groups who offered assistence and ran into the government opposition.

Vlad

The opening cerimonies were great, except for the broadcasters on the channel I watched it on! They were rude, and obnoxious! I believe it was Bob Costus (sp?). At one point they mentioned that one of the smaller countries had offered a 1 million dollar bonus to any of their people who won a Gold medal. Good old Bob was quick to point out that HE didn't think they would have to worry about paying any of that money out. <_< What a PRICK to say something like that on the air. :angry:

Did anyone noticed the number of shooters that were flag holders? I was kind of surprised by how often shooting came up under the names of the flag holders.

Yeah, I was going to say something about that. Pretty cool. Wish the U.S. had a shooter as a flag carrier.

One thing's for certain. For the next 16 days, I'll be watching TV from 0130hrs to 0630hrs local (HK) time.

Luckily I have a loving & understanding wife, who bought me a pantry full of junk food plus two bottles of Bundaberg Rum, so you can colour me happy :D

And Australia just took Gold & Silver at the Men's 400M Freestyle. Yeee-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

GO AUSTRALIA!

Did anyone noticed the number of shooters that were flag holders? I was kind of surprised by how often shooting came up under the names of the flag holders.

Shooters have the longest active carrers so yes it's common that a country honor a shooter if they have participated in 4,5,6,7 olympic games... Seniority as in everything else..