Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 1911's...Are they worth it?

Mtbkr31

Buy once, cry once. All of my pistols are built by SVI and I won't own anything else for shooting games. See how long a SVI factory pistol last on the classified forums and you will see that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

At the end of the day, a gun that puts a smile on your face is the one that's worth it, regardless if it's a $500 factory or a

$5000 custom build.

Eventually, there's a diminishing return once you hit a price point. But then again, price and worth is all in the eye of the beholder. With that said, don't expect to get full price on the custom build, since it was to your specs.

If you like to learn about how the 1911 works and are willing to put the time in, you might consider buying a good starter and fixing it up over time. I say this strictly for target and competition use NOT carry. My first comp gun was a DW Valor for $1300. I learned to do a few of the minor upgrades and it was a great value at half the price of a Wilson or EB. There are some good new and especially used options in the $1000 to $1400 price range if you don't want to take the plunge. I picked up a used LB Extreme Tactical two years ago for USPSA. Paid $1600 and have put 40K rounds through it. It runs great and I know it will last another 40K.