Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting started?

Cundiff5535

Hey fellas, I like the idea of shooting open but, I have no clue where to start or how to get started. I feel like I could eventually be pretty decent but, I have never shot in a competition like this. To add to that, where do I start in getting equipment? Since I have never done this, I dont want to get a 5000+ pistol and then realize its just not for me.

Help, suggestions?

Thanks

I have no clue where to start

Best advice is to start shooting with whatever you currently have.

Get into the game before you spend a lot of money.

As you pick up experience, you'll know what you want to try next.

No reason to rush it, especially if your decision involves spending

a lot of money.

Best to start with PRODUCTION - least expensive entry into the game.

If you want to try OPEN, you probably have to spend at least $1,000

for a used gun, and a few more hundred on mags - of course, if you

purchase wisely and don't like it, you'll probably get your money

back by selling the equipment.

Don't forget the expense of reloading and learning how to reload

while you're learning how to shoot.

Best to start simple - go slowly.

:cheers:

I cant say if its the best way, but im just getting into open and i bought a used gun (single stack because im in canada and even the double stack guys only get 10 rounds) sent it to my smith for a calibre and comp change (it was an old 388 super gun from the 170pf era)and im into open for much less than i can get a used double stack for up here.

gives me a fun gun to shoot and learn what i want and dont want on my next gun.

Have an EAA 45 that I shot to get faster and better at the local indoor range. The slide broke so I started building my own. But look at the classifieds there are good guns there that people are wanting to sell you can get into a good rig for about half the cost of a new one.

Edited by Sharkys11

My first Open gun was my SS .45 with a Metal Grip with a scope mount attached and I can't remember what scope. I had heard about some guys using red dots and back then it was heads up so I was racing and developing tech at the same time. I also added a bushing comp. What a time. We all shot 185 PF so that cast Al mount broke and made my forehead bleed.

My point is if budget is a concern shoot what you got with a red dot. The comp doesnt matter as much but human nature says most people want to have the latest and greatest. I know that its the shooter not the gun and I could pick up a gun like old faithful and beat 90% of people I usually do. Lower capacity would hurt more than bullet type and caliber.

If budget is not a concern then buy the 5K Open gun. You can probably sell it for 75% but hey that's how anything works.

I thought the same thing about 3 months ago. I'm new to USPSA but shot several matches this summer in production and just couldn't resist the allure of the race guns. Like you, I can't afford the the full custom jobs. I would very highly recommend checking out Carver Customs website. Bobby Carver is the best and provides very high quality parts and services to convert a stock glock (and/or XDs) into an open racer. I just got mine back and tried it out this weekend... shoots like a dream. He offers great customer service and is extremely responsive. It was a great experience. I've attached a picture below. Modifications include:

C-More 8 MOA red dot sight

Carver custom mount

thumbrest and slideracker

KKM competition barrel with 4 port compensator

SJC heavy magwell

Carver guiderod and spring

radius cut slide and compensator

lowered ejection port

cerakoted comp and magwell to match

All of this came up to around $1600 (not including price of gun). Still need to add trigger job and stippling but she runs sweet right now. Seriously, check out the website in the picture. You won't be sorry.

post-42334-0-13278900-1347930576_thumb.j

+1 for Bobby Carver. Magazines are cheaper, parts are cheaper, and it's a great "starter gun". I still second the earlier post about starting out in production as your 1st division. It's better to learn our sport there then to jump head first into the most expensive division. Welcome, and have fun.

I can't afford the the full custom jobs. I recommend Carver Customs

Al this came up to $1600 (not including price of gun). Still need to add trigger job and stippling

Packer, sounds to me like the Carver will add up close to $2500 or so?

You can get a new STI TruBor from Brazos for that ... They run great!

:cheers:

Jack, I don't think that came out the way he meant for it to. If you look on Bobby Carvers website, his brand new built open guns run for $1400-1700 depending on what you want done to the gun. I went a little overboard with mine (slide cuts, grip job, KKM, etc.) and mine was in the $1500 range out the door. Bobby puts out quality stuff, and is VERY quick to respond to any question. Not trying for a drift, just trying to offer some clarification.