Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pain in the web

wizbang

Ed Brown makes a lot of nice stuff. I have his grip safety on my limited gun and it's very comfortable, lot's of other guys are using them as well. I looked at the Custom II on the Kimber's web site and the grip safety doesn't look a whole lot different than and Ed Brown. You may want to look at the frame and see if the edges are sharp, they may need to be dehorned. Also look at the thumb safety and see if it's bitting the web of your hand.

Good luck,

• 2 weeks later...
the webbing of my hand has been taking a beating from the grip safety. I have a kimber custom II / 45 cal. would changing to a "Ed Brown" style grip safety help? or any other ideas wouls be much appreciated.

thanks

I think it would help quite a bit. I have two Kimbers and one has an Ed Brown and the other Chip McCormick grip safety because I couldn't stand the original Kimber part. The Chip McCormick required less recontouring of the frame and thumb safety, but I couldn't get one to work with the series 2 firing pin block in the other gun and had to go with an Ed Brown (which is usually my first choice anyway).

If I were doing it again, I would use an STI grip safety. The height and angle are very much like the Ed Brown, but the relief cuts for the first joint in your thumb really make them more comfy if you grip the gun tightly.

Regardless of which you choose, any of the "high ride" grip safeties will be a step up from the Kimber part, which I consider the primary weakness of Kimber pistols.