Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Needed for 3Gun - BEGINNER

smarcus3

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about these? http://www.skdtac.co...h-p/rdt.110.htm They make 2 kinds, this one and one that has to be threaded over a belt. I like them for .223 Think they will go on a Safariland ELS or Double-Alpha belt. Prob even go on a US issue belt.

Pockets are kind'a pita, because the mags bang against your leg if you wear cargo pants and tend to want to jump out at the worst time. Not that it can't be done. I don't know about you, but the less I have to think about when I shoot, the happier I am.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

What about these? http://www.skdtac.co...h-p/rdt.110.htm They make 2 kinds, this one and one that has to be threaded over a belt. I like them for .223 Think they will go on a Safariland ELS or Double-Alpha belt. Prob even go on a US issue belt.

Pockets are kind'a pita, because the mags bang against your leg if you wear cargo pants and tend to want to jump out at the worst time. Not that it can't be done. I don't know about you, but the less I have to think about when I shoot, the happier I am.

Tar

Link doesn't work.

Tar

Link doesn't work.

Try this one. http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-AR15-Mag-Pouch-p/rdt.110.htm

I think that is a good plan. If there is a large shoot in your area, even better to see what equip is being used.

You probably have already, but there is a lot to learn about quip on the 3gun nation site. The pro profiles list what equip they use. Of course some choices are dictated by sponsors, but trends can be spotted easily.

Tar

Go to 3gun-nation, then choose "3-gn the Series," then choose "shooter profiles." Some of'em have more complete lists than others, but lots of good info there. Some of the teams also list equip, ie. Noveske, etc. You might also give a look to Firebird Precision, they have a lot of good stuff and are a nice bunch. Also anything Benny Hill seems well thought out. I'd love to have one of his "Fat Free" guns. Oh well, perhaps some day. :eatdrink: He also is very good at taking a "stock" shotgun and making it 3gun worthy. If and when I get a brand new shotgun, it's going straight to Benny for a tune up.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Sleepswith is providing good info ( he is a gun-writer that actually knows something)

You might get even more help local to you IF we knew where in these fine United's you reside.

Patrick (a TV Pro only) Kelley

Probably makes sense. Just added it to my profile.

I just want to make sure this is the right scope to get: http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/burris-fullfield-tac30-tactical-scope-1x-4x-24mm.html

WOW, great sale price!!! IMO, more than any other piece of 3gun gear, except perhaps the choice of underwear, the scope is the most completely personal choice you will make. I for sure have nothing to say about what scope is best as I think the best scope is actually the one that works best for you, your age, your style, your eyes, the distances you shoot most.

That said, IMO, and in spite of PE's kind words, my opinion is even more useless than usual here so I won't even go there. :cheers:

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I just want to make sure this is the right scope to get: Burris Tac30 link

A few months ago, I was in the same position as you are now. That's the scope I use, and it's a good way to get started. It's definitely not what's holding me back. The MTAC is nicer since you can adjust the power with a ring rather than turning the whole eyepiece, but it wasn't worth the extra $100 to me.

I did basically what a lot of people here have suggested. I started with an off-the-shelf Bushmaster for about $800 and shot a couple of matches. The rifle obviously wasn't (and still isn't) ideal, but I'm having lots of fun and developing much stronger rifle skills. I've done minor upgrades for a couple hundred dollars - drop in CMC trigger (~$175), Miculek comp (~$35), and what I have is more than adequate for my current skill set. When it takes me several shots to hit an 8" plate at 75 yards, I don't think the problem is the lack of a free-float hand guard, but rather my crappy position and trigger control! I plan on shooting the rifle as-is for at least the next year or so and then buying a purpose built 3gun rifle when I've gotten a lot more time behind the trigger and feel like the rifle might actually be holding me back.

As others have said, don't agonize over the details, just get out there and have fun.