Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt 1911A1 value

Noximus03

That's a really tough one to answer, given the potential variables in terms of manufacturing date, wear, etc.

When you say "original 1911a1," I assume you mean WWII era. The value can really be hurt by any non-original parts, amount of finish loss, refinishing (even military arsenal refinishing), etc.

I was shopping for one last year - spent a lot of time on gunbroker, checking out completed auctions (rather than asking prices). The prices are all over the map - from $1,000 to $3,000 and $4,000.

Best thing to do is go to some of the 1911 collectors forums and talk to some of the guys who specialize in those guns. I've seen them pick apart guns that - to me - looked quite original.

Come to find out when I picked it up today that its a Series 80 (doesnt say MK IV or anything else. Serial prefix is 2741, but I'm not having too much luck with finding the history or anything without paying for it.

Given the fact that everyone that I know has offered to take it off my hands before I even got it....its no longer about the value question. Now I'm ultra curious as to what mkaes it so special/high demand.

Edited by Noximus03

Ha I saw your ad on Florida Gun Trader. Man, I hope you include a bottle of KY at that price. Okay, it goes against all my better judgement, but I'll do $300 and thats it, and only because of the spare mags. Hopefully I'll be able to sell some to recoup my exceedingly generous purchase price. Think it over, I'll be up at SEPSA tomorrow if you'd care to bring it by :cheers:

Yeah, I posted it there, but I figured if I were going to get a $500 offer, I can at least be justified when I'm an ass with my reponse.....

Read the listing where it says I'm reasonable......just dont take that too far....

I've bought and sold a few guns on there and it can be a royal pain in the ASSterix. I posted my KLR 650 on there as a hunting or bug out bike and got death threats because it wasn't a "gun". Guess you take the good with the bad, but I always get a lot of BS offers. No I don't want your Hi Point....

Come to find out when I picked it up today that its a Series 80 (doesnt say MK IV or anything else. Serial prefix is 2741, but I'm not having too much luck with finding the history or anything without paying for it.

Given the fact that everyone that I know has offered to take it off my hands before I even got it....its no longer about the value question. Now I'm ultra curious as to what mkaes it so special/high demand.

Ah the Series 80. A much different animal than what I thought you were talking about.

The Colt series 80 has a firing pin block that is activated by the trigger. There is an extra cut in the frame and an extra hole in the slide for the series 80 parts, the hammer is different as well (half cock notch is different). You can feel the firing pin block plunger being pushed up as you pull the trigger. Many (almost all) people do not like this. Series 70 pistols usually command a higher price than Series 80 pistols, and pre 70 commercials will generally run about the same as Series 70s. WWII guns (true M1911A1s) in original condition will be quite a bit more, and depending on manufacturer, perhaps a lot more. A good guide is to look at what people are actually bidding (not asking, as someone else mentioned) for the exact same gun, rollmarks and all, on Gunbroker.

Hurley