Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is slide-frame fit important if i am not using a frame mount?

strikeraj

Barrel to slide fit is ESSENTIAL for accuracy. Rear lock up and muzzle end to the slide. Slide to frame fit is nowhere near as important for accuracy. That goes for any type of sights you are using.

This subject is discussed by Bill Wilson in a book who says the same.

20 years ago I had an Auto Ordnance 1911 .45. Slide to frame it would rattle when you shook it side to side. I had a stainless match barrel fitted by a gunsmith and the trigger done at the same time. Slide to frame was left alone.

That thing would then shoot into one and a half inches at 25 yards.

I'd have to disagree a little there:

I fully agree that the slide to barrel fit is paramount, but, if using a frame mounted sight, then slide to frame fit becomes equally important.

Absolutely, the OP's question was if using a slide mount so that's what we were speaking to ;)

Ok since I have a loose goosey open gun, my old gun when dry firing I can feel when the slide moves over and hits the frame. This gun was as accurate as a sling shot at one time, I took it to my smith and he pointed out that the cone on the comp was worn and the fit was lose, so he put a new barrel and comp on it. He said what was important was that the barrel always locks up in the same place, so with a tight cone and a good barrel lock up, the gun became very accurate. It shoots a nice <2" group at 25 yards.

So my answer is it can have a loose slide to frame fit if the barrel consistently locks up tight.

I had considered doing Acc-u-rail, so I bought an old worn out open gun that rattled when you shook it and sent it off to Doug, it came back tighter than dicks hat band. Took the gun out shot it and it shot a nice <2" group at 25 yards. Sold it to a friend who still shoots it today, and it is still accurate. But it wasn't any more accurate than my loose goosey 20 year old Briley, and that gun will run with sand in it or whatever, just runs and runs. I should note that the recoil of a tight gun feels nicer than a lose one, odd how you can notice that.

Edited by CocoBolo

New guy here but I can pass on some experience on this. If you ever owned any HK pistols you will see that the slide to frame fit is quite loose even on the Match model. Many of those same pistols will shoot 1 ragged hole at 25 yds off a rest. I have done it. As long as the barrel fits tight to the slide and sights you are good. I once got the frame mounted Scope mount for one of these pistols and the groups really opened up using a dot. I could only explain it by the looseness between the slide/barrel and the frame. I sold that mount. So my opinion is that it won't matter that much as long as slide,barrel,and sight is a tight assembly. A loose barrel, bushing, etc and your accuracy goes away fast. Cheers.