Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder sticking to sides of powder hopper

Static builds from powder rubbing against sides of hopper. Ever rub paper across your hair and slowly pull it away? You'll see that individual hairs will be pulled up. That's static electricity. So

1. Empty hopper and rub inside with a used dryer sheet.

2. Some folks then take that sheet and fold half of it over into the hopper and use a rubber band around the half on the outside. Then fill the hopper.

I place a used sheet on top of the powder. Others use different techniques.

Hi,

I keep reading lots of uses for "used dryer sheets" can I ask do they *have* to be used? Is there some special quality that happens to them after being used in a dryer?

We don't own a tumble dryer so I could only buy a packet of them from the supermarket,but they'll be new and of course not used!

This happens to me too on my xl650. It wouldn't bother me except I have an issue with powder leakage from my powder bar and powder drop/die that I am trying solve. I do not know if its static or not, but dryer sheets don't seem to stop the clinging of the powder to the hopper so I wonder if I still have a static problem or not...

Does anyone know a specific brand/type of dryer sheets that work best for wiping the press down with? Used or unused?

I used some unused scent free bounce sheets but like I said, not sure if it helped or not...

I hope we get some great wisdom Blueheller :-P

This happens to me too on my xl650. It wouldn't bother me except I have an issue with powder leakage from my powder bar and powder drop/die that I am trying solve. I do not know if its static or not, but dryer sheets don't seem to stop the clinging of the powder to the hopper so I wonder if I still have a static problem or not...

Does anyone know a specific brand/type of dryer sheets that work best for wiping the press down with? Used or unused?

I used some unused scent free bounce sheets but like I said, not sure if it helped or not...

I hope we get some great wisdom Blueheller :-P

The use of used sheets because new ones have the drying compound pressed into it (or so it seems) and the fibers are not free.

For a powder measure, you can wipe the interor of the measure, or you can wipe and dangle 1" or 2" strips of the sheet in the measure and then fill with powder.

Some powders just seem to be clingy.

For the tumbler, the used sheets now have open firbers to capture the dust.