Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Glock 17 build suggestions

synergy

Hello guys,

I've decided to jump into USPSA finally after shooting IDPA and doing a lot of tactical training for years. I'm planning on sticking to Limited Minor class, shooting my stippled Gen 2 Glock 17. All of my 17's are stippled for carry, so I'm either going to be in Limited or Open class, anyway. I'm thinking of staying away from limited 10 because that feels too much like IDPA to me, and I'm up for something different.

In terms of my ability/ experience, I typically place along side many Expert class shooters in IDPA (or some Master's if I'm having a good day), and I shot B-class at the first USPSA match I shot.

Right now the gun is setup with 13# recoil spring (tungsten rod on the way), a narrow red FO front sight and plain black rear, stippling on the grip and frame, a Zev connector (stock springs) and an overtravel stop in the trigger housing. I've been shooting 5.5# Glocks for so long (and accurately)that I'm pretty used to them and don't really feel the need for a more modified trigger. I have large hands so I have no need for extended controls.

I'm also running +6 Arrendondo extensions on my mags, and have some Safariland 771 pouches coming in.

What other modifications would you guys recommend for a limited Minor Glock? I don't feel like dumping lots of money into it, but I feel like a heavy magwell would go a long way, but I don't know what else folks typically do to get the most out of a limited gun.

I don't feel like a match barrel would help for the type of shooting in USPSA, unless the tighter lock-up could help change felt recoil significantly.

I just don't feel like modifying the pistol in such a way that I can't modify it back to carry it (like milling the slide to reduce weight). Also, I don't reload, so I'll be shooting factory ammo, exclusively.

I plan on putting together a DOH type holster too. I have some kydex capabilities, but may put together something store bought for the sake of making life easier.

Anything you guys think I'm missing, or am I over thinking it?

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Jim,

It sounds like the gun is ready to go since you are comfortable with the sights and the trigger. Other than maybe adding a magwell to it I don't think you need anything else. Magwells are nice, but it's a Glock, there's already a big hole in the bottom of it (former 1911 shooter here). I don't think you will gain enough from an aftermarket barrel to bother spending the money. I probably wouldn't have bought the tungsten guide rod, but it can't hurt.

Get the mag pouches and holster squared away and go shoot.

Scott

Edited by Scott L

Every shooter is different and we all have our own preferences. I prefer a magwell on my Limited G35. Not a big mouth like the one on my Open gun, more like the smaller profile Carver. Defintely wouldnt run a tungsten (they tend to chip), and the weight gain isnt really beneficial over a SS. As far as barrels, there is a benefit in accuracy to getting a drop in barrel in my experience, but thats just me. I run KKM's in all of my match Glocks.....but thats just me. Everything else sounds about right.....but thats just me.....

Bottom line, what works for you and the way you shoot is always the way to go and it sounds like you already know what you want. Have fun, and welcome to our side of the sport.

Defintely wouldnt run a tungsten (they tend to chip), and the weight gain isnt really beneficial over a SS.

Huh, I hadn't heard about tungsten chipping before.

My thought had been to add as much weight to the gun as possible as I'm not reloading for it or anything.

Any suggestions on what magwell would go best with the Arrendondo extensions and add some weight?

Thanks!

I was running a full length tungsten out of my 34 and after 3 matches with factory Federal FMJ's it chipped on the end and cracked near the same spot.

Not running a magwell automatically puts you at a disadvantage in Limited. SJC makes a great weighted magwell. Dawson has one as well.

I run the DP Glock Small Frame Ice Magwell, Black, 2.9oz. They make the DP Glock Small Frame Super-Heavy Magwell, Black, 6.7oz. (brass).

I also have the DP extended Hi-cap base pads that fit the USPSA 140mm Rule Using Standard Tubes.

JT

I love the Dawson magwells, but they will often require that Arredondo pads be modified slightly to fit. It's a one-time grind/sand around the tops of the pads, but still needs to be done.

P.S.: I like the over-all build. I think that you've covered almost all of the bases. Most people would prefer a 34 as the base for the build, but you're only losing a little sight radius going with the G-17.

Edited by Braxton1

I love the Dawson magwells, but they will often require that Arredondo pads be modified slightly to fit. It's a one-time grind/sand around the tops of the pads, but still needs to be done.

I have seen others say that but mine work and have not been sanded. On the other hand, they might work better if I did. Never really thought about it that much. Might try one and see if it changes anything. It's not like I'm going to void the warranty or something.

how are your guns stippled? stippling dosent automatically put you in limited it depends on where it is

I added some pads on the frame, forward of the slide lock lever... apparently that bumps me up to limited (which is fine). I did it as a carry modification and don't feel like buying a new gun.

If I want to shoot production and buy a new gun, I'll get a 34 for that.

Thanks!

I run the DP Glock Small Frame Ice Magwell, Black, 2.9oz. They make the DP Glock Small Frame Super-Heavy Magwell, Black, 6.7oz. (brass).

I also have the DP extended Hi-cap base pads that fit the USPSA 140mm Rule Using Standard Tubes.

JT

I was looking at those as a leading option, I just wanted to double check if there were any fit concerns. I'd seen the Carvers, SJC's and Dawson all offering heavy options... just didn't know what the best bet would be for use with those magazine extensions.

I'm not as concerned about the size advantage itself, as I've been reloading Glocks quickly for years without one... but if I can pick up even a little time while adding more weight, I figured it'd help level the playing field some against the other setups in Limited.

I'm just looking for non-permanent modifications so if I don't like it, or want to shoot some IDPA with the same gun, I can remove the components and have a relatively stock gun.

Thank you

Jim,

As far as magwells, I found that the combination of the ZEV Tech (aka GlockWorx) and the Taylor Freelance extension work perfectly together with no modifications needed. I run four of them and have had no prob. Also, the magwell from ZEV can be purchased in different weights depending on the size/weight of the brass plug.

Just to second everyone else on here that has said to get a magwell. Just look at it like this, try putting oil in your car without a funnel very very fast without making a mess. Point being, putting a mag in very very fast is a part of the game, and a magwell is your funnel. Magwell = Advantage.

I also run a DOH. I like it, I've trained with it, I'm fast with it. The other day at the range, an open buddy of mine and I were squaring of on draw to first shot on steel and he is running a CR Speed while I was running my DOH. The times were 1.2 - 1.4 and I was beating him by .1 or we were tying. My point is that it is not necessarily what you use, it is what you use to become extremely proficient. Whether you make something or buy something, DRY FIRE DRY FIRE DRY FIRE. What I have found to be the best book for dry fire practice drills is Steve Anderson's 'Refinement and Repetition: Dry Fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement'. It's for sale here on Enos's Store. A MUST BUY. (By the way my name is not Steve Anderson, I have just used it, did what he said, and I dry fire on a consistent weekly schedule.

Since your going to be shooting factory loads and not reloading. I think it's important to always use the same exact ammo and tune your recoil spring to the load. What I mean by that is that you don't want your front sight to dive when the slide goes back in battery (this means you have too heavy of a recoil spring). On the other side you don't want to light a spring because you will start having reliability issues. The best way to find this out, is to have a buddy go to the range with you and stand off your shoulder a few yards and watch the front sight as you shoot one shot about every second or so. Don't shoot to slow where you have time to purposefully correct the issue and not to fast that your buddy cant see whats going on.

~Brian

Well, my backorder for the tungsten recoil rod was canceled, so I switched to a steel one. I also ordered the brass/ heavy magwell from GlockWorx, as it was in stock, heavy, and they recommend it with the Arredondo extension.

I have a DOH holster setup on the way, but it'll be a little different from the norm. I'll post details once it comes in and I can set it up properly.

I ran the factory recoil spring setup at the last match, and it seemed just as manageable as the 13# one. I was also shooting some (free) 124gr NATO ammo, so I had no interest in shooting that with a reduced spring.

Here's a vid of the gun in action as it stands now:

Thanks,

Jim

• 2 months later...