Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

spring loaded 1911 thumb safety

larry weeks

Ran the timer at the ProAm for someone with a spring loaded thumb safety on his S?I. By the end of the squad when I had a chance to write the name down, it had disappeared from my pea sized brain. It wasn't the Cylinder and Slide, decocker conversion, just appeared to have a spring somewhere that popped the safety into the notch when you moved your thumb off of it. Really handy for dumping a 1911 in a bucket and not having to worry about it coming off safe. Anyone know who it was, who did the work, or how it was done?

Interesting, yet confusing for the need. The C&S cocks the hammer when you drop the safety if I am not mistaken. Speed fast or shoot fast system? But this you have to hold the thumb safety down like the grip saftey has to be depressed? How is this desirable?

Desirable because it pops into the safe position when you remove your thumb. That way you can dump a 1911 into a barrel just like the Glock folks and not have to drop the mag and rack the slide. You always worry about the safety popping off resulting in a DQ. I disagree with that rule, both the 1911 and the Glock still require the trigger to be pulled to fire a shot, PLUS the 1911 requires the grip safety to be depressed before it will fire. But, it is the rule and this safety would eliminate the need for dropping and racking. I'd bet it would change the sport. The bucket deal is the only thing that keeps the STI/SVI from completely dominating the sport of 3-Gun.

• 10 months later...