Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a 40 barrel work in my 9L?

OPENB

I searched, and found some threads that said "it should work", but has anyone actually done it? My 9L is just like I want it, but I would like to shoot some 40 too. I understand the possible extraction/ejection issues, I just want to know if the barrel will fit in the slide, from someone who has done it.

It won't work. Not because of extraction/ejection issues (the M&P extractor/ejector is actually the same between 9mm and .40), but because the outer diameter of a .40S&W barrel is larger than a 9mm barrel. As such the hole in the front of you slide where the barrel moves through is too small.

You can get a larger diameter 9mm barrel for a .40S&W gun (a conversion barrel), but the reverse isn't possible.

What you CAN do if you'd prefer is take a whole slide from an M&P .40 and put that on your gun.

Edited by MGMorden

I don't know about the barrel od but the width of the breech face won't allow it, the 40 is wider than the 9.

On many guns that's the case but S&W uses the same size breechface for both on the M&P.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

I have M&Ps in 9mm and 40 S&W and this is what I can tell you from my guns.

The OD on my 9mm and 40 S&Ws are identical down to the thousandth same with the holes in the end of the slide. These interchange without a problem.

The breach face on the 9mm is smaller then the 40 S&Ws. The barrel hood is also smaller on the 9mm barrels.

So you can drop a 9mm barrel into a 40S&W slide but the barrel hood fit will be sloppy.

None of my 40S&W barrels would fit the breach face of my 9mm, the barrel hood is to large.

I have M&Ps in 9mm and 40 S&W and this is what I can tell you from my guns.

The OD on my 9mm and 40 S&Ws are identical down to the thousandth same with the holes in the end of the slide. These interchange without a problem.

The breach face on the 9mm is smaller then the 40 S&Ws. The barrel hood is also smaller on the 9mm barrels.

So you can drop a 9mm barrel into a 40S&W slide but the barrel hood fit will be sloppy.

None of my 40S&W barrels would fit the breach face of my 9mm, the barrel hood is to large.

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know from someone with actual hands on experience.

FINALLY! The true difference between a standard 9mm barrel and a 40-9 conversion!

I think instead of reading the thread, he decided to answer my original question, which we covered. Thanks anyhow! I decided to sell my 9L, and buy a 40 Pro. Will shoot limited until I buy the KKM barrel for 3 gun.

Edited by OPENB