Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock 9 Major on a Timberwolf Frame

BSComp

I am looking to build an open 9 major Glock, and am looking to use a Timberwolf frame from Lone Wolf Dist instead of a Glock frame. I should tell you that I have built Glocks before from spare parts but not an open gun. So my question is, what are the pro/cons, what should I be careful of, is it a bad idea from the get go?

post-39038-0-48139300-1345000529_thumb.j

1st off, I'm not a Glock owner at the presant (have been)... I really think you should look long hard look at what you want to do. I know several people who have tried this combo... it just is not reliable enough. There is nothing that is as frustrating as a gun that will not run, shot after shot. If you must try this venue?, why not buy a Glock that is already built, and question the reason for the sale?... BET you they won't say the gun ran like a clock...The "open" answer is an STI/or/Infinity pistol and SV mags... They just work. Ask your self this question... How many TOP shooters use a open Glock?, there is a reason...It ain't just the tee shirt...

I've probably put 20 to 40 thousand 9mm rounds thru my SV gun (both major and minor) and replaced 1 slide and still have the original barrel in it (homebuilt pistol)... she is a runner...., not a hole in a hole gun anymore, but close. Your Glock just is not going to do this no matter how much $$$$ you spend on it.

Edited by mike NM

I want to build the open glock to get into shooting open. That I will then turn into my backup after buying/building an STI/SV. I shoot a g35 in limited now and know not to use it to build an open gun (cycle rate)

Ask your self this question... How many TOP shooters use a open Glock?, there is a reason...It ain't just the tee shirt...

Times are changing, the tee shirts have a much better fit these days...

If you are comfortable shooting your G35 & handle it well enough to compete then go with what you plan. I don't have any experience with a Timberwolf frame so I can't comment on it. Have you held one/shot one to make an experienced choice?

I built mine for similar reasons you did. Cost! A comp/barrel combo & a slide ride sight on a G17. Had some extended parts & a magwell so I put them to use. An extra $600 allows me to play in Open on top of the cost of the gun. If I decide to leave that division I can always sell it as is or put it back to stock.

I want to build the open glock to get into shooting open. That I will then turn into my backup after buying/building an STI/SV. I shoot a g35 in limited now and know not to use it to build an open gun (cycle rate)

Ammo would be the issue there. Blocks require ammo to be shorter than what runs in a STI. You would have to have backup ammo as well.

Lots of people think that way, but I am raking from experience when I say that once you buy one 3k gun, it is much easier to buy the second one.

With the Timberwolf you have one magwell option, a small nearly weightless aluminum model.

You also lose the backstrap gap that on a Gen3 you can fill with Dawson or ZEV or SJC brass fitting for their heavy magwells, plus birdshot/glue, fishing sinkers, you name it if there's still room at the top of the gap.

If you really want an open Glock my 2cents is use a Gen3, you can add up to 9oz to it plus 1.5-2oz with tungsten guide rod. Gun will still be lighter than most all the STI steel-challenge guns, borderline too light (my opinion).

By going wiht the timber frame you lose a ton of options, but gain a couple as well. I wouldnt go with a metal frame because of the grip texture and the finger grooves (bad childhood experience and I hate them), BUT...I do have lingering questions as to if one can use a single sided C-More mount with it since you dont have to worry about the frame flexing anymore. hmmmmmmmm............

• 3 weeks later...