Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canadian Gun laws

Is there anyone that can provide me with som insight about Canadian gun laws. I am possibly going to be assigned there for 2 yrs. I would like to take my firearms with me to compete in the local IPSC/IDPA matches if there are in any in the area where I will be assigned. I am a USC. Thanks in advance for the info.

You can get some info from this web site:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

Or you can contact the Chief Firearms Officer from the Province you are moving to:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/cfo-caf/index-eng.htm

(hope those links work!!)

Good Luck!! Awesome opportunity! :)

I have been doing some searching and man I am not digging what I am finding out. May have to serioulsy rethink the move once it becomes a serious offer.

1344294275[/url]' post='1756212']

I have been doing some searching and man I am not digging what I am finding out. May have to serioulsy rethink the move once it becomes a serious offer.

Welcome to our future if we're not vigilant. sad.gif

1344294275[/url]' post='1756212']

I arrived here from Canada 8 years ago as a political refugee. I can attest from personal experience the nightmare that gun ownership in Canada presents to it's citizens. Talk about red tape.... Pay the outlandish application fees, fill out the applications, wait, wait, wait, then live with the restrictions. It's killing me to see the direction this country is headed. If only people knew what it's REALLY like north of the border...

Hello.

It can be done, the laws of this land are a bit screwy but thats what we have to live with.

I am not near my office, but i will send you the numbers you need to contact to get your firearms into the country.

Depending on the type of firearm, it should not be to difficult to do.

For me to enter the USA with firearms and ammuniton for the prepose of competition, takes about 10 hours of paperwork, and about 6 weeks waiting. The biggest problem is your US Customs, they do not know your laws and do not know my laws, sometimes it can take 2hours to cross into the USA, but it can be done.

I live just north of Toronto, in Ontario. I shoot in the USA at least 6 times a year. I even need a special permit to move my firearms to the Point of exit from my country.

You may not carry a firearm on your person in this country, unless you are a Police officer, on duty. This is just the way it is. But i still get to shoot, and shoot a lot. Mags may not hold more than 10 rounds, they must be pinned to not allow any more. This is for Hand Guns, Rifles and shot guns may not hold more than 5 rounds. A total nightmare, but we manage.

I will try to get you the info in the next few days.

Be Safe, shot straight and have fun.

Russell

Canadian

I arrived here from Canada 8 years ago as a political refugee. I can attest from personal experience the nightmare that gun ownership in Canada presents to it's citizens. Talk about red tape.... Pay the outlandish application fees, fill out the applications, wait, wait, wait, then live with the restrictions. It's killing me to see the direction this country is headed. If only people knew what it's REALLY like north of the border...

Left Canada also, 32 years ago, now proud to be an American and couldn't be happier however concerned for our future.

Wait? No, "wait" is an to soft word....

It's also depends where do you plan to live, Quebec or other provinces.

Here's some of the gun law apllicable in the gun owner nightmare of Quebec (and whole Canada by the way, QC only have more steps)... <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Here’s roughly the full path, if you want non restricted (most “hunting rifle and shotgun) and restricted firearms (most handguns and AR rifles), I will get back to the classification later. I put the approx time by process, each one coming after the other)

1. Complete the « Canadian Firearm Safety Course », a 2 days course to learn the basic of firearms and safety (±100$) (2month, find the course, follow it, and wait for result)

2. Complete the “Canadian restricted Firearm Safety course”, a 3 hours of BS, mostly repeating the first course, but applicated to handguns (±100$) (2month, find the course, follow it, and wait for result)

3. QC only – Complete the “Law 9” course, a red tape BS supposed to enhanced safety. Pretty easy, but useless. (±50$) (2month, find the course, follow it, and wait for result) the only part not related to the other, but mandatory to have restricted firearm in QC

4. After receiving confirmation about #1 and #2, send the Firearm Acquisition License (FAL) form, for this, you will need:

4.1 Both #1 and #2 confirmation

4.2 Two reference knowing you for more than 3 years

4.3 Passport picture signed by someone knowing your for 3 y

4.4 Answering a full questionnaire about your situation and psych health

4.5 Have your spouse / husband / companion (married or not) sign, and if you had more than one companion in the last 2 year, you have to get those sign too

4.6 Send you form with 80$ and ... wait (2month or more, minimal is 45 days, but more complicated mean more investigation, and of course more time)

5. Become a Gun Club Member who accept restricted firearms (not all), and better, IPSC (google IPSC and the province you want to go, and you will be able to find those gun clubs)

6. After receiving you PAL, complete all importation forms

7. Take your guns to Canada... but...

7.1 If you have handguns, you have to apply for a “transport authorisation”, giving you the right to bring your restricted guns to your house (can take up to 3 months)

7.2 After bringing it to home, you will need another “transport authorisation” (AT) to go to your Gun club and get back, the “club” AT is good only for the length of your club membership (can take up to 3 month)

7.2.1 In QC (and some other province), You can only go to the club where you are a member (some exception applies for competition, but It’s far away)

7.2.2 In QC (and some other province), the max membership “length” is 3 years

7.2.3 The AT process are managed by province, so they can differ a lot.

7.2.4 You ALWAYS need an AT to get your restricted guns outside you house, and the club one only give you the right to go to your gun club by a reasonable way. If you need to go elsewhere, ask another AT (those may be fast enough)

7.3 If you need to go to a gunsmith or else, guess what, yes, another AT. Same if you buy another one. (time vary a lot, anything between a few days to a few month)

7.4 NO CCW, NO GUNS ON THE BELT HERE!!!

7.5 Guns need to be stored and transported safely. All information is available on the RCMP web site, but if you have specific question it will be a pleasure to help you

Mostly, that’s all. It’s a long and frustrateing road, but after it’s done you’re OK.

If you have specific question, please feel free.

About firearm classification, it’s a land of exception, but in the main lines it goes like this:

a)
Non restricted:

The official description is “all non restricted or prohibited firearms”.

mostly all “hunting long guns”, Non military semi auto need to have at least 18.5” barrel. Non semi can be shorter, but have to OEM.

No caliber restriction (except for hunting purposes).

B)

Restricted firearms: All handguns, except prohibited ones, and centerfire semi-auto rifles/shotguns with less than 18.5 barrel, except prohibited ones, and ALL “AR” platforms.

c)
Prohibited Fireams:

All handguns with 105mm and less barrel (4.1”) and mostly all .25 and .32 caliber handguns (few exception applies for Olympic shooting firearms).

All Full Auto Fireamrs.

Mostly all “modern” military semi auto platforms (like AK, FAL, GALIL, UZI, MP5, HK G3, SIG 550, etc...).

And NO, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to get a new licence for those, only those who get one before the law came (in ±1996) are grandfathered, other are screwed.

Another very important point, magazine capacity.

Magazine are specific devices by Canadian law, independent of the firearms. Having a prohibited mag is like having a prohibited firearm, a big bunch of trouble. Here’s a summary of the rules:

1. ALL Handguns (RF or CF) mags are limited to 10 rnds. Mags have to be permanently pinned or limited. (some exception for Law enforcement)

2. ALL centerfire Semi Auto long guns are limited to 5 rnds. Mags have to be permanently pinned or limited. (only exception are the Garand)

3. No restriction for rimfires long guns mags (you can have a 100 rnds 10/22)

4. No restriction for non semi long guns (bolt, lever, pump) (except if they use “semi auto” rifle mags, like the Mossberg rifle using AR mags, it will be limited to 5 rnds)

But remember, the magazines are a specific device by the law. it’s the original purpose of the mags that count, the gun which mag intended to be used. No matter in which fiream you use the mag after. And no matter if the mags are removable or not. Ex: SKS are limited to 5 rnds.

Hope it will help you.

Well from my research and the great info here, I have decided to pass on the offer when it comes. Man do I feel sorry for folks in Canada!!!!!!!! I refuse to have my right to defend myself taken away. I LOVE AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for all the info.