Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help with Hornady bullet feeder die

I am trying to go with the poor mans bullet feeder, the die and some feeder tubes. Partially to speed up production, but more so to help me with the slippery moly bullets I am using.

So I just got my 40 S&W die and opened it up and there are no instructions. So, being the guy I am, I unscrewed it to look inside and out pops 2 pieces that look like they actually hold the bullets (one is long the other shorter), they are slit up the sides. Also in the package is a 2 inch long piece with a smaller nipple at one end. It does not fit into the die, so is this an adjustment tool?

Any help on putting this back together and getting it set up is appreciated otherwise I can call Hornady tomorrow.

Thanks

Mike

THere are a few decent Youtube videos on these about adjusting and fitting tubes. I got a .40 to try out and after getting it adjusted it runs real well. I am using tubes to feed it at this point but may look into a feeder. To use these for lead you need to open up the bottom collet a bit as most lead bulletds are sized to .401" or .402" which is bigger than the .400" of the jacketed bullets.you open it enough to let the bullet slide through and it will still get grabbed by the collet.

Neal in AZ

Thanks Neal,

If you can provide some more info or a link that would be great, and I will also start looking into the you tube videos.

I found the videos, looks like good stuff!

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Mike in CT

Mike, The info I got about the die and using the tubes was actually from the videos on youtube. I found tubes at of all places, Linens & Things. If you are looking for info on tube feeding I can help you out with the right tube sizes. I couldn't find specific info on what size for what caliber so I bought one of each and figured it out from there.

Here is the link for the tubing:

rigid plastic tubing

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

Has any body used the Powderfunnels.com PTX die with the hornady bullet feeder die? I have the PF PTX and all my dies, just waiting on my tubes to make a cheap bullet feeder. I didnt think that the hornady ptx die was nessecary to run their bullet feeder, but ya never know...