Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just picked up M&P Pro 40 - sights ?

Mike in CT

So I just picked it up and was able to fire a few rounds out of it at the dealers, but no real testing yet.

I know on my M&P Pro 9 I had to go to adjustable sights (Dawson I think) to get POA, POI correct.

Does anyone have suggestions on these right out of the box?

Unfortunately my OAL for my 40 STI Eagle is to long for the M&P so I was not able to fire any of those rounds, but my plan is to load up a shorter Bear Creek Moly, 180gr with WSF powder for a nice soft SSP or ESP / Production load.

Any suggestions on sights is appreciated, I am leaning on getting the same as my 9mm just to keep the sight picture the same and of course an FSS from Apex to match the 9mm. (and down the road maybe a conversion barrel so I can use it as a back up to my 9mm)

I know I need to test first, but since that is likely a week away was hoping for some input from fellow owners,

Mike

My 40L came with Trijicon's and the worked so well that eventually I added the same sights to my 2 9's. And most recently my 45FS came equipped with them. Just a nice, nothing too fancy set of sights that has worked well for me in all the IDPA matches I have shot so far.

Amazon has the best price I could find with free shipping if you do the Prime thing.

I'm using WSF for 9mm and I'm guessing it will work well in the 40. Have fun!

Oh, and this is from the real Mike in CT. :)

Edited by mcracco

Hey Mike in CT......

When I joined the forum I was a 'real' Mike in CT and had just discovered the action shooting sports and reloading. Now I am back 'home' in CA and must say I am a West Coast guy. Sun, beaches, mountains....high cost of living and 10 round mags...... LOL

not to go way off thread topic, but I found the Novak sight set and the price is right and they appear to mount lower than the dawson so after I do some test shooting I may go with them.

Since your using WSF, what is your pet load?

for my STI I was using 5.5 gr WSF over 180gr Montana Gold, 1.30 OAL. I chrono'd it at 173 and at my regional it made 165.1....yikes.

I did test some of my new Bear Creek Molly bullets and 4.3 of WSF was sending the 180gr bullets downrange around 865fps.

Any info on any light loads you have made?

Mike

I put Dawson's on my 40 pro and after messing around with a bunch of other sights for 6 or 8 thousand rounds with my 9 4.25 I just put the Dawson set on it. By far much better than the others I tried. I am a fan of an adjustable rear and Dawson is about it. You do have to use a tall front sight, probably a .285 but it has never been a problem shooting the gun. I say go with the Dawson.

So I just picked it up and was able to fire a few rounds out of it at the dealers, but no real testing yet.

I know on my M&P Pro 9 I had to go to adjustable sights (Dawson I think) to get POA, POI correct.

Does anyone have suggestions on these right out of the box?

Unfortunately my OAL for my 40 STI Eagle is to long for the M&P so I was not able to fire any of those rounds, but my plan is to load up a shorter Bear Creek Moly, 180gr with WSF powder for a nice soft SSP or ESP / Production load.

Any suggestions on sights is appreciated, I am leaning on getting the same as my 9mm just to keep the sight picture the same and of course an FSS from Apex to match the 9mm. (and down the road maybe a conversion barrel so I can use it as a back up to my 9mm)

I know I need to test first, but since that is likely a week away was hoping for some input from fellow owners,

Mike

First off ....

Do you have the Pro 9 that is 5", or the 4.25" model?

They come with different sight setups.

The Pro 4.25" models come with night sights, and the 5" models come with Novak rear and green fiber front.

Edited by roostershooter

I don’t know why so many people get rid of the M&P Pro rear sight. It’s almost the same opening as the Sevigny sights that so many people love on there Glocks. I like them so much I put one on my standard M&P to match the pro. I do run Dawson front sights .115 wide and the proper height for my point of aim.

I have the 5" pro with Green Fiber front, and only windage adjustable rear. I shoot different loads and games (IDPA bullseye, etc) and like to have elevation adjustment thus the reason to replace the rear.

I will work up a couple of loads and see how they shoot.

I do like the sight picture on the stock set up, just need some elevation adjustment,

Mike

I don’t know why so many people get rid of the M&P Pro rear sight. It’s almost the same opening as the Sevigny sights that so many people love on there Glocks. I like them so much I put one on my standard M&P to match the pro. I do run Dawson front sights .115 wide and the proper height for my point of aim.

I'd agree with that. Before purchasing my M&P 9L I rented out an M&P 9 Pro at the local range just to see how I'd like it. Honestly I had no issues at all with the sights on the Pro models (I did switch out my 9L sights to Sevigny Competition). If I'd started with one of those I'd probably just leave the sights stock.

I have the 5" pro with Green Fiber front, and only windage adjustable rear. I shoot different loads and games (IDPA bullseye, etc) and like to have elevation adjustment thus the reason to replace the rear.

I will work up a couple of loads and see how they shoot.

I do like the sight picture on the stock set up, just need some elevation adjustment,

Mike