Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO START .40 200GR BEARCREEK AND N320 AND TITEGROU

60crewman

Looking to load for .40 STI edge with 200 gr bear creek moly bullets an n320 or titegroup. I will be loading to 1.18. Thanks for any help

I load 3.9 gr of VV N320 with 200gr Bayou Bullet at ~1.187 and get 170 PF. This is with Federal primers and used range brass. Also this is out of a 6" Schuemann barrel.

Star low and work up. Maybe start at 3.7gr.

I've been looking for a starting point for Titegroup and 200gr lead for about a month. I've checked a bunch of forums, several manuals, local shooters, the Jeff Maass list, etc. I think I even started a thread here. I have not been able to find a suggested starting point for this combination, maybe I've missed it, but I have run across a couple people that have tried it and could not make major without pressure issues. The more I read, the more convinced I am that Titegroup and 200gr bullets just isn't the best combination. I want it to be, I've got a lot of both to use up.

Hodgdon lists the following on their website:

200 GR. HDY XTP .400"

Hodgdon Titegroup

OAL 1.125"

Min 3.4gr velocity 744 27,200 PSI

Max 3.8gr velocity 822 31,700 PSI

I've thought about starting with the minimum of 3.4gr and an OAL of 1.190" and working up to see what I can get. I'm not going to have time to do it any time soon though, so for now I'm going with a different powder.

Sorry to muddy the waters, just thought I'd throw out what I've found so far.

Scott

Edited by Scott L

I've been looking for a starting point for Titegroup and 200gr lead for about a month. I've checked a bunch of forums, several manuals, local shooters, the Jeff Maass list, etc. I think I even started a thread here. I have not been able to find a suggested starting point for this combination, maybe I've missed it, but I have run across a couple people that have tried it and could make major without pressure issues. The more I read, the more convinced I am that Titegroup and 200gr bullets just isn't the best combination. I want it to be, I've got a lot of both to use up.

Hodgdon lists the following on their website:

200 GR. HDY XTP .400"

Hodgdon Titegroup

OAL 1.125"

Min 3.4gr velocity 744 27,200 PSI

Max 3.8gr velocity 822 31,700 PSI

I've thought about starting with the minimum of 3.4gr and an OAL of 1.190" and working up to see what I can get. I'm not going to have time to do it any time soon though, so for now I'm going with a different powder.

Sorry to muddy the waters, just thought I'd throw out what I've found so far.

Scott

I agree I havent had much luck either, I am switching to N320 and 180gr bear creeks, Lots of good data out there for that. I Have talked with a very vetran shooter who recomended to start wit 180gr bear creek an 3.8 gr of titegroup @ 1.18 @160ish power factor. I will try that when i run out of N320. If i can find any data for the 200's ill let you know.

I agree I havent had much luck either, I am switching to N320 and 180gr bear creeks, Lots of good data out there for that. I Have talked with a very vetran shooter who recomended to start wit 180gr bear creek an 3.8 gr of titegroup @ 1.18 @160ish power factor. I will try that when i run out of N320. If i can find any data for the 200's ill let you know.

Please do, thanks. Once I run out of 200gr lead I think I'm going to switch over to the 180s as well, there seems to be a lot more options with the lighter bullet.

Please do, thanks. Once I run out of 200gr lead I think I'm going to switch over to the 180s as well, there seems to be a lot more options with the lighter bullet.

I shoot 200gr bear creek, 4.1 N320 with 1.8 OAL and get 174ish power factor. Pretty nice load for para. Got issues(failure to feed) though with my sti that i just purchased. I mighht need to change OAL to 1.2. i'll update you if i get to chrono this load.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Disclaimer, this is purely my personal expierence. Bought an edge from a guy he said his load was 4.3gr of Titght Group with a 200 gr Zero loaded 1.20. I fired up the press and loaded them up tried it liked it and shot about 50K of them with no issues.

Is it over max, probably.

The only time I got a little nervous was at gator one year it was cold, I was worred about PF so I stroked another .1gr in to make it 4.4gr. The crono was kind to me 185pf or so. Be aware that both lot, and temp issues can happen. I believe it to be reverse temp sensative.