Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 cal 200 grain lead?

GOF

Used to shoot those in a .38 Special factory load back in the day. There was an article on this round that had a comical phrase that I won't forget. It referred to the relative ineffectiveness of this round out of a 2 inch snubbie that was sometimes carried by police (which I was at that time). You can imagine how slow it was. The phrase was "Halt, or I'll scratch your paint!" The rounds would sometimes not even penetrate the outer sheet metal of a vehicle. I tried it on some junk cars. It was true.

Thanks for the info guys, but I'm familiar with the 200 grain .38 factory loads. Back in 'the day' when I was involved in LE, we referred to these as "widow makers'... not for the guy that got shot with one, but for the guy who did the shooting with no ill effect on the perp, and paid for it when the perp's gun started shooting back.

The reason I'm looking for a componant 200 grain lead .358 bullet is to make some Major (165) PF loads from a .357 gun using .38 Spl brass. I believe that I can get that slug safely to 850 fps/170 PF (in a .357 gun) with less recoil and muzzle blast (it will be sub-sonic) than I can using lighter bullets that would have to run more than 1050 fps. I have taller interchangeable front sights that I can slip in to account for the fact that the 200 grain slug will print significantly higher than the Minor .38 loads the guns are zeroed for.

I just need to find the bullets.

Try http://magnusbullets.com/store/page5.html for 200 grain rn lead.

Call these folks http://www.rocosystem.com/ to see if they still have 200 grain .357 plated bullets. They import them from Germany from time to time. I still have a few left from when I was working up a major load for my 38 Super 686. You have to call. They aren't listed on the web site.