Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5FU

D.Hayden

Thanks guys

at the end of the 12, I go on some Lipitor therapy that's supposed to help as well.. and it'll have the added benefit of lowering the cholesterol I'm probably adding every day :)

I can tell it's going to take a lot of phyiscal training to recover for 3 Gunning.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are losing weight, see if you can find any Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC. It's 560 calories per 250ml. A friend's nutritionist recommended this for her when she went through this and it definitely helped.

And Reeses Dark Chocolate miniatures. Lot's and lot's of them. Yum.

Much better than that crap, ensure. Worst tasting stuff ever!!! Carnation IB actually tastes great and does the same thing only better, IMO.

Best to you and pryers for a speedy and full recovery.

Tar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Round 11.. one more to go.. 11/29 will be the last schdeduled time, maybe I'll get taste buds back soon after that.. I'm hoping by Christmas dinner

Can't wait ti have a pizza and hold a cold beer.. whenever I want, and to actually be able to go out in publcc

Edited by D.Hayden

• 2 weeks later...

Chemotherapy is DONE!

Doctor decided based on tests and to minimize the ongoing neuropathy.. that 11 was enough. And I got a pass today! Already turned the pump and supplies in, get the port out 12/11. Then just monthly to once every 3 month checkups..diminishing over time.

Soon, I can start exercising and get back in shape from being a potato for 6 months. Hope to make a lot more matches in 2013 and see some good friends again.

And I promise to stop whining about it :sick: Chemotherapy is not as glamorous as they make it out to be (My sick sense of humor)

Thanks for everyone's support since this all started, it's had it's ups and downs.

And i want to send along my best wishes to those on the forum who are or have, or their spouses are currently or have had treatment along the same lines

Lastly.. for anyone over 50, or people at risk.. read CSEMartin's thread:

http://www.brianenos...54

Edited by D.Hayden

• 2 weeks later...

Round 5... 7 to go

They tried to postpone this one.. white count is getting on the edge.. but went ahead anyways, just a 10% reduction.. just looking forward to the last on 11/29 - an hopefully start retuning to normal in December

I could start a whole 'nother rant about the insurance company.. bu that just makes my blood pressure go up

ETA: Hardest thing this time was seeing about an 8 year old boy in there.. that's just way too young to be going through this

And the late 20's guy across the way, who's been havng these for about a year. I can't even fathom that.

I know what you mean. I lost my grand daughter to AML at the age of 1 year and seven days. The part that boggles the mind is that 7 weeks earlier she was perfectly healthy.

Seeing the kids with cancer makes one question things for sure. I wish you the best and it's good to see you are doing well.

• 5 weeks later...

I went for my first 'after treatment' checkup the other day..

The local support group: http://www.cancersupportmontana.org/ makes these baskets up, they give to first time patients. They have different things in them, but things like hard candy (takes some of the bad taste from the chemo drugs away), puzzle books, hats, etc.. give you something to do when sitting in the chemo chair for 4-6 hours.

When they gave me mine, it was a little shocking, I'd always been on the donating side, it was a little unnerving, hard to describe why.

So, on my visit, there was a very young woman, probably low-mid 20s, sitting alone in the waiting room with her 'welcome' basket, with the same look on her face that I felt my first visit.. it really tears at you for people that young starting to go through it

ETA: and I found out that most of the side effects were from Oxaliplatin not the 5FU - but 5FU is easier to type

Edited by D.Hayden

• 2 months later...