Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

steelmaster PF with factory ammunition?

digby7

wondering if anyone has chrono'ed a STI steelmaster in 9mm with factory ammunition and what kind of PF it came out at? If it makes minor - also curious what kind of ammo it is.

Getting a steelmaster in a few weeks and thinking about shooting Open Nationals with it in Open Minor.

Just curious with the short barrel and all the ports if I need to be buying +p ammo out of it or if something that makes 135 out of a non-comped 5 inch gun is good enough?

I dont reload and I shoot 9 minor for everything so being scored as minor even at nationals is not really a concern for me. not making PF is.

I would think you should make minor pf with factory ammo. The SteelMaster has a 4.15" barrel + the Trubore comp. If you cut off the comp, you'll have a pistol similar to commander length. A commander 1911 would make minor pf with factory ammo, so no reason the SteelMaster won't.

just dont really know how a comp affects velocity or if it doesnt matter so long as theyre not popple holes.

so - the velocity of the bullet should be the same as a command length barrel?

just dont really know how a comp affects velocity or if it doesnt matter so long as theyre not popple holes.

so - the velocity of the bullet should be the same as a command length barrel?

Once the bullet leaves the actual barrel, it is going as fast as it ever will. If it makes PF with NO comp, then adding a comp isn't going to slow the bullet down any more than having no comp. Popple holes are different, because they bleed off gas BEFORE the bullet reaches the end of the barrel.

if you are going to the nationals why not get your ammo from someone like atlanta arms and ammo. Im not sure if they do open ammo, but it wont hurt to call or email they. Im just thinking out loud??? :cheers:

if you are going to the nationals why not get your ammo from someone like atlanta arms and ammo. Im not sure if they do open ammo, but it wont hurt to call or email they. Im just thinking out loud??? :cheers:

I think he is only asking about minor pf ammo. Most commercial FMJ 9mm will make minor pf. Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ is about 136 pf. Winchester 9mm NATO is 141 pf.

AFAIK, nobody will load 9mm Major ammo for sale. The liability is too high, and what makes major in my gun might not in yours.

Here are my chrono results through my Steel Master for Factory Ammo.

Pro Chrono Digital at 82 degrees F

American Eagle 115g FMJ PF 135.36

Independence 124 JHP PF 138.36

Fiocchi 124 JHP PF 147.44

Winchester 115 FMJ PF 138.23

Remington 115 FMC PF 126.62

Fiocchi 158 FMJ PF 127.03

Yes - 158g Factory 9mm :devil:

As Always, Your Results May Vary

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

this is perfect! thank you sir.

So i had a steelmaster earlier this year, sold it and decided i just wanted to focus on iron sights. Six months later I want to shoot open again. So i'm getting another one. The previous gun I had tried some major pf 9mm that my buddy loads and I vaguely remember the gun being much more violent but not much more than that - dont remember if it was a bad violent or just violent and I shoot the same. DC ammo sells Major PF 9mm I believe but i'm so used to shooting 9 minor that i'll just stick with it.

If I come in 2nd in open high overall - then next year i'll shoot major :)

until then i'll just go to shoot it and enjoy the experience.

Edited by digby7

In my opinion, the best factory ammo in local stores for minor open is 115 grain Remington UMC. It seems to use one of the slowest burning powders in the 115 grain weight range. Unfortunately, you have to make sure the Remington UMC will make power factor before the match because as stated above, it's on the edge.

Has anybody else experienced shooting 9mm Major through a steelmaster ?

Hope this helps.

So i had a steelmaster earlier this year, sold it and decided i just wanted to focus on iron sights. Six months later I want to shoot open again. So i'm getting another one. The previous gun I had tried some major pf 9mm that my buddy loads and I vaguely remember the gun being much more violent but not much more than that - dont remember if it was a bad violent or just violent and I shoot the same. DC ammo sells Major PF 9mm I believe but i'm so used to shooting 9 minor that i'll just stick with it.

Hope this helps.

I believe it wouldn't be a good idea to shoot major out of a steelmaster. It's my understanding the slide it too light to handle it. You could go from a matchmaster to a minor load but not a steelmaster to a major. I could be off buttttttt

Hope this helps.

I shoot major and minor loads in my Steelmaster. Probably have run 8k or so rounds of major through it in the past 2 years. My major load is 115 gr FMJ Montana Gold over 8.6 gr Silhouette which makes about 170 PF. Haven't seen any problems. The primers don't even show signs of over pressure.

Edited by RocketCity1911