Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

nra member to shoot uspsa?

Could it be the club where the match is held requires NRA membership to engage in any activity on that property?

It never has in the dozen or more times Ive shot the match there. Snake, I believe this is a simple case of being in the wrong place and talking to the wrong person. It really sucks to drive all that way and not be able to shoot. Ill bet Arthur makes it right for you.

its taken care of. obviously i talked to a moron at the range. i was in the wrong place. the ad was with the md at a nroi class that day lol. its all good.

Avezorak can you send me the directions or the address to the bryan shoot? im thinking about shooting steel challenge also.

Edited by snake32

• 2 weeks later...

I think some would say that requiring membership in any organization means they are not truly holding a USPSA match, since there is no such caveat in the USPSA rules.

I have also found that some clubs have very inadequate information on their "websites". It took me a few months travelling around the state of FL going to matches to find out everything about any of the clubs here. They are shooting clubs, though, not computer clubs, so I don't complain much about their websites. However, critical info such as banning a particular type of holster, NRA membership requirements, reloading "below the berm", etc are all things that individual clubs really need to put on their websites.

I understand the stereotype of gun guys being old and not computer literate, etc, but some of these websites are no better than some angelfire garbage that a 12 year old would make for a Beiber fan page. It is seriously embarrassing that very few gun ranges can actually get it together enough to figure out what a decent website should look like. I'd be willing to bet that every gun club has at least one member that is well versed in web design, and all it would probably take would be a discount on a membership renewal or some other incentive to get that one guy to come up with something worthwhile.

I don't think that was his point so much as he was complaining about the "local" rules and not knowing what was "legal" at such and such range.... Such as the banning of certain type holsters and/or reloads below the berm.

i understand, i guess i went on a bit of a tangent. having a decent website goes hand in hand with having an up to date website. this would/should include individual range rules such as those mentioned.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

this would/should include individual range rules such as those mentioned.

It's a tangent, but for the purposes of USPSA, there's no such thing as "individual range rules" - at least during a USPSA match. A range can't ban a holster that is USPSA-legal because they don't like it. They also can't ban reloads above the berm as there's no USPSA rule against it. That's the whole point of having a sanctioned rulebook - anybody can go anywhere and know exactly what's allowed and what isn't.

this would/should include individual range rules such as those mentioned.

It's a tangent, but for the purposes of USPSA, there's no such thing as "individual range rules" - at least during a USPSA match. A range can't ban a holster that is USPSA-legal because they don't like it. They also can't ban reloads above the berm as there's no USPSA rule against it. That's the whole point of having a sanctioned rulebook - anybody can go anywhere and know exactly what's allowed and what isn't.

It may not be a USPSA rule, but if you want to shoot there you may need to make concessions

Our USPSA Club shoots at a range that bans a certain type of holster and high muzzle reloads.......it's their way or the highway.....we choose their way...there's not enough ranges that allow action shooting already, we appreciate this one

Our USPSA Club shoots at a range that bans a certain type of holster and high muzzle reloads.......it's their way or the highway.....we choose their way...there's not enough ranges that allow action shooting already, we appreciate this one

I am so thankful none of the clubs around here have rules that they try to impose upon us.

For those that ban the certain holsters, reload techniques etc then it really should be the highway or give up USPSA status as what is being held is not a USPSA match. If its run as an outlaw match then set ay rules you want. When you call it a USPSA match, then uspsa rules apply. With the requirement of no high gun reloads I would go far as to say all classifiers should be thrown out as well as the classifiers are not shot as written due to the rule of the reload.