Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Reloader using moly

lastparrot

Hello all,

I am new to reloading and I am trying to decide what powder to use. I have 125 gr moly bullets but I am a little confused on what type of powder to use. Fast burning or slow? Is there anything i need to stay away from (nitroglycerin...sp)? I would prefer to stay as smoke free as possible. Any powder or reloading tips would be great. Thanks

125 gr... 9 mm...?

I like Solo 1000. Cheap, fluffy and not to hot burning..

yeah, 9mm. What would be the next step up and down from Solo 1000? Just asking so I kind of understand how things compare.

I take it then that I don't want a hot burning powder, thinks makes me think slow burning.

125 gr... 9 mm...?

I like Solo 1000. Cheap, fluffy and not to hot burning..

yeah, 9mm. What would be the next step up and down from Solo 1000? Just asking so I kind of understand how things compare.

I take it then that I don't want a hot burning powder, thinks makes me think slow burning.

IMO - up to a point... Faster is better. Use caution and common sense.

Look at various Burn Charts and see various burn rates for the same powder. So there seems to be as many "opinions" as actual hard facts.

Look at Hodgdon and This Chart from Sierra info and you will see there appears to be some subjectivity in the determination of what powder is the faster.....

Try a Google using "Burn rate charts for smokeless powder"

Edited by Merlin Orr

Hello: I use Tite Group which is a little smokey but if you have a good crimp it does not smoke as bad. Hodgdon HP-38 works well and so does Winchester WST. WST is reverse sensitive so the hotter it is the slower it is. Thanks, Eric

Welcome to the forums! Now, go read the 9mm reloading section. There are hundreds of threads exactly like the one you just started.

Moly bullets are good bullets but you will never get them smoke free no matter what powder you use.

Solo 1000 and N320 get smoke down to a minimum. Stay away from Tite Group as it burns very hot.

Abbreviations..? Just ask. :)

WST is a Winchester powder.

In the Reloading Charts most of the abbreviations are regarding bullet types.

If you are not an experienced re loader you really would benefit - a Lot - from buying a good reloading book.... Lots of little things fall into place while reading one....

Edit to add - If you just start reading posts in the 9mm section here in a couple of hours you will increase your general knowledge many times over. If you don't understand a particular just keep reading and many times it will be explained or addressed in a different manner some other place. If you still have questions then you will have enough specific knowledge to ask a pointed/direct question and get a good answer. ;)

Edited by Merlin Orr

Some many correct answers here. I use Bear Creek 125gr RN over 3.8 win 231. This powder was recommended by the bullet manufacture. I also new to loading. This load has proven a great combo. No leading and great groups.

OK, I saw Gary post so I had to chime in.

I just switched to Bear Creek (thanks to Gary) and am using WSF (winchester)as it is just a bit slower than the WST. I ran a number of test rounds with loads of WSF and Titegroup (very fast) and found the best accuracy with the TG but smokey! I am going to load the 125gr with 4.4gr of WSF at 1.130 OAL for my 9mm load. It made minimum powerfactor (135 so I made drop a grain) and was the most accurate of all the WSF loads.

Why WSF? well when I started reloaded a couple of years ago my buddies were using WSF and TG, so I tried both. Found I can use the WSF for my 9mm and 40S&W so the TG is sitting on the shelf.

Best of luck on your reloading adventure!

Mike

Root Beer? I like that idea but it might throw off my shooting as I would be smelling instead of shooting.

I have also been tossing around the idea of using N320 as I hear such great reviews about it but it is about double the price of most US powders. Maybe if I find a 1lb container locally I will buy it and try it,

Mike

I use 4.1 grains of Universal for my 124/125 moly. Recommended by Precision, used also for Bear Creek and Rainier plated. Powder is nearly smoke free with plated bullets so the smoke is from the moly coating.