Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

carbon fiber tubes

ryan45kim

What is the difference between the DPMS carbon fiber free float tube and the Clark Custom carbon fiber free float tube? The only difference I can see is the Clark comes with a sling stud. Has anyone used both and can give a review?

Thanks, Ryan

From the descriptions I've read both the DPMS and the Clark are glued onto the barrel nut. I've never seen one besides on line but my impression is that they both are the same carbon fiber tubes and aluminum barrel nuts that are glued together.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32439/avs%7CMake_3=AR-15zz1zzM4/avs%7CManufacturer_1=DPMS%20FIREARMS%20LLC/Product/AR-15-M16-CARBON-FIBER-FREE-FLOAT-TUBE

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4998/Product/CLARK-CUSTOM-AR-15-CARBON-FIBER-HANDGUARD

If you're like me and dislike the notion of gluing your tube to the barrel nut and don't have the facilities to drill/tap it yourself, the AP Custom one come with a screw attachment method. I have two of these and they are pretty sweet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3139489461/ap-customs-free-float-tube-handguard-ar-15-carbon-fiber-black

Thanks for the replies guys but no one has answered the question, is there any difference between the two besides the name?

I've used both. I'd put money on "same manufacturer".... Not positive; just saying.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking they are made by the same company and relabeled by others but since I’ve never seen either one in person I’m just guessing unless I would order both to examine. The only difference I can see is that the Clark comes with a front sling stud installed. So since you used both tubes do you have any recommendations?

I'd go with straight PRICE. Look around and buy the cheapest one that you find, since they're practically identical.

One caveat though: The CF tubes make the front of the gun VERY light if you're running anything other than a heavy barrel.

The light front-ends don't seem to settle on targets very well. I can transition quickly, but getting the dot to settle down so I can confidently take the shot seems to take FOREVER for me. YMMV....

I run 15-inch aluminums on everything now.

Thanks guys I’ve been thinking about putting my rifle on a diet so I’m trying to figure out the best ways to save some weight. This is the biggest saving I found so far; it would save 7oz vs the Nordic that I currently run.

I can measure the AP tube when i get home if you want. The tube itself is actually just a hair larger than the OD of the "star" part of the mil spec barrel nut so whatever that is, plus an extra 1/8" diameter for the tube itself will give you a rough estimate.

BTW: why is the diameter of interest? Do you have concerns about your gas block? I have low pro gas blocks under both of mine and they all fit with room to spare.

Edited by JonF

I just like the smaller tubes. I held a carbon fiber at one point that was 2 1/4" and it was just uncomfortable. I have big hands, but like smaller tubes. I will be replacing a Samson Evolution that is 1 3/4" that I really like, but you can't go that small with just a round tube cuz of the gas tube.

If it's only a hair bigger than the nut, it's gotta be pretty close to 2".

Thanks

Just mic'ed the AP tube and its 2" OD on the money! Tube wall thickness is .065" so that makes the ID 2-(.065*2)= 1.870" ID.

Quick tip: if you want to attach any small rails lenths to the AP tube, thier own rail sections are rather pricy. Magpul MOE rail sections work perfect with the AP slot system and come in lots of different lengths. I used the longest MOE rail section to mount an AFG on mine and its perfect.

I hear you and agree on the tube diameter. I generally prefer some sort of front grip device on mine, specifically the AFG as i find it more comfortable than just a straight forearm so i use that to grip and stabilize the front of the gun. However, i also have a 22LR AR with a real skinny TACCOM CF tube that must be ~1.5" and is somehow just comfortable enough to hold on its own without any other grip device.

Excellent news, thanks for measuring. Great tip about the Magpul rails. That will help keep the weight down too. I only need 1 rail for light, and was wondering how I was going to do that.

Thanks again