Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

kimber custom target II

Having a similar pistol....

1st (no doubt here) I would get a mag well. I prefer the Dawson Ice 1911 no-gap. You will need the basepads that go with it to "fit the box".

A close 2nd (this goes with the basepads) I would pick up 7 Wilson 47d's. The Dawson basepads slip right on and fit the box. Wilson makes a great mag and back it up with a great warranty. I am sure that there are other mags out there that will do the job just fine but Wilson has always taken care of me.

3rd I would play with the recoil spring. I believe that I run a 14lb ISMI, but try a few out. I have tried Wolff and ISMI. The Wolff's were much, much stiffer then the ISMI springs rated at the same poundage, I don't know why, it just felt that way. I stick to ISMI for this reason

That should give you a pretty good start. Number 1 and 2 are the only ones that will make you more competitive, the others mods you can make are just kind of "preference".

Like others have said. The magwell of your choice, 7 mags that run, and if it were mine I would change the mag release to an oversized one and order a Dawson fiber optic front sight that was .090-.100 wide depending on the notch in the rear.

I would probably play with the trigger and recoil springs after I got it up and running.

Having a similar pistol....

1st (no doubt here) I would get a mag well. I prefer the Dawson Ice 1911 no-gap. You will need the basepads that go with it to "fit the box".

A close 2nd (this goes with the basepads) I would pick up 7 Wilson 47d's. The Dawson basepads slip right on and fit the box. Wilson makes a great mag and back it up with a great warranty. I am sure that there are other mags out there that will do the job just fine but Wilson has always taken care of me.

3rd I would play with the recoil spring. I believe that I run a 14lb ISMI, but try a few out. I have tried Wolff and ISMI. The Wolff's were much, much stiffer then the ISMI springs rated at the same poundage, I don't know why, it just felt that way. I stick to ISMI for this reason

That should give you a pretty good start. Number 1 and 2 are the only ones that will make you more competitive, the others mods you can make are just kind of "preference".

This about covers it. I would also add a Dawson Front Fiber optic (.100) and a set of aggressive G10 grips. My preference would be a set of VZ's. :cheers:

My son shoots a Kimber Custom Classic Target.

1. I would make sure the extractor has been tuned, polished, and tensioned correctly.

2. Dawson Precion fiber front sight.

3. VZ grips

4. 7 or more WC mags. I run ETMs with the Dawson Precion alum base pad, my son runs 47Ds with the extended WC base pad.

5. Magwell. I tried the Dawson Ice magwell, didnt care for it - had a hard time getting my mags seated even with their base pads. Went to a Smit&Alexander instead. This winter I will be converting to a Techwell on both my Kimbers.

I have and shoot the same gn and I added a magweill, changed out springs, and just shot it with the mags I have (Wilsons and Act-mag). It is accurate and reliable. Enjoy your gun.