Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

a2 stock play

countryboy223

Just guessing, but based on other mechanical joint designs:

I think it's just a design/tolerance thing.

The idea being that the screw holding the stock on tightens "metal to metal" on the screw/stock butt/buffer tube end giving you a solid stop when tightening the screw vice compressing the stock into the lower and having a "spongy" compression of the stock limiting the screw tightening.

So I would expect the stock to rotate very slightly (1-2 degrees?) but almost imperceptible front to back. Without locktite, a threaded fastener torqued in a metal to metal joint is much less likely to loosen than a fastener torqued in joint with give as would be the case if the stock were squeezed by tightening the screw.

My A1 and A2 are/were both this way.

Or I'm just completely wrong.

David E.

There should be zero play on an A1/A2 stock. Check the spacer on the end of the buffer tube and check you have the right length screw. Might be too long or too short. make sure to put blue loctite on the screw...

Also use a big flat head screw driver with a big handle you can crank down on to tighten that screw down properly.

Mick

Edited by MickB

It could be the lug on the stock under the buffer tube hole that engages the hole in the reciever. If its too long the stock wont sit flush on the reciever and if its too small in dia. the stock can trist slightly. File if its too long and if its to small in dia. put some heat on it and mash it a bit to peen up some material so it fits the hole tight.

That is for carbine buffer tubes. Commercial tubes have a larger OD and are usually made from extruded aluminium tube, whereas mil-spec tubes are smaller OD and are typically made of forged aluminium. That said, always buy from known, reputable sources. Parts isn't parts...

Mick

I swear I read that somewhere, that one tube is made of a better or stronger metal, so either the I.D. Or the O.D. Is different?