Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip

jguilletjr

I have been shooting for a while, but not in competition.

I am planning to start shooting IDPA soon. In practice I find I am faster an more accurate using a one handed grip. Any one else tried this? I am rt handed, and left eye dominant. I am experimenting with the tape on my safety glasses, and trying using either eye. Also I am shooting left and rt handed with no problems.

I am shooting an XDM .45C 3.8"

I find I am faster an more accurate using a one handed grip.

Wow!! I've never heard of anyone saying they're faster & more accurate

shooting with one hand, much less shooting with either hand, than shooting

a handgun with two hands :surprise:

The second hand seems to help me stabilize the gun, absorb recoil and

enable me to shoot more accurately and faster :)

Have you timed one vs two-handed shooting at similar targets, and come

up with faster times one handed? How have you used the weak hand?

Supporting your wrist, or clasping your strong hand?

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

If I'm standing at the line shooting groups slow fire, really slow, like several seconds or more between shots, then I can shoot about as accurately with one hand as with two, weak hand or strong hand, though weak hand is even slower.

On the clock, it's not even close. I'm slow with two hands, slower shooting strong hand only, and go get a cup of coffee when I'm shooting weak hand only.

I have been shooting for a while, but not in competition.

I am planning to start shooting IDPA soon. In practice I find I am faster an more accurate using a one handed grip.

Let us know how that works out in actual competition.

My guess, just a guess, is you grew up and like most of us, shot 1 handed. My guess, just a guess, is if you Dryfired using both hands for awhile, you'd be comfortable with it.

Using both hands, getting them to meet correctly, establishing a grip, exerting the correct pressure with each hand,.....the list goes on, is tough and could be slower than a SH only draw and first shot for a beginner in action shooting sports.

Advice: get Burkett dvd's volume 1-3. Watch videos about the correct two handed draw. Practice. You might be the exception, but I highly doubt it. Good luck and welcome to action pistol!!!

My guess, just a guess, is you grew up and like most of us, shot 1 handed. My guess, just a guess, is if you Dryfired using both hands for awhile, you'd be comfortable with it.

Using both hands, getting them to meet correctly, establishing a grip, exerting the correct pressure with each hand,.....the list goes on, is tough and could be slower than a SH only draw and first shot for a beginner in action shooting sports.

Advice: get Burkett dvd's volume 1-3. Watch videos about the correct two handed draw. Practice. You might be the exception, but I highly doubt it. Good luck and welcome to action pistol!!!

You are correct I have shot one handed for most of my life. I am 62 years old, and have been shooting since I was about 12. I shoot Rifle and shotgun left handed because that feels more natural to me being left eye dominant. I have always shot handguns rt handed because I am right handed., and just started shooting left handed recently to see if I was able. I shot rifles in competition in the service. Hand guns only for fun and self defense. When I say I am faster one handed, that is a relative term. Compared to all of you guys I am very slow either way. LOL But I expect it will be a good time.