Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have been following along with the other lead count thread so I thought I better get a tet if I could. Had a physical this week and the Doc was fine with authorizing the test. I was kind of worried after reading so many horror stories.

After three years of shooting nearly every weekend during the season, shooting one match a week indoors every week during the winter, eating snacks while shootingblink.gif and reloading 7-10,000 rounds a year my lead count is a whopping 9.

Yes, 9.

Keep in mind less than 10 is normal FOR A KID.

Do yourself a favor and get checked if you feel you need to, but I doubt I will ever worry about it again.cheers.gif

Get yourself checked ONCE A YEAR / EVERY YEAR.

It's a minimal cost, minimally invasive test, and it doesn't hurt. Better safe than sorry.

I've been in the 30's before (about 5-6 yrs ago) ... last test I had came back at 13.

I am sure my insurance provider will deny payment but I shoot 1000's of lead rounds every year and will likely get checked next physical.

Perhaps I will find a lab that will do it without the insurance headache for a reasonable cost.

That's awesome that your numbers are low but after I tested very high for lead (66) I had my two young kids tested. One was 3 years old and the other 11 months.

At that time, I was told they would start chelation on my kids at a blood level of 10 or higher. The 3 year old tested at a level 6 which they said was elevated.

A friend of mine went through chelation and it is not a walk in the park not to mention very expensive.

If my kids were at a blood lead level 10, I would be very concerned.

If you don't have insurance, one of the "any lab test" places will do a test for around $75.

The doctor told me to get blood work at the last visit. I asked if she could add a lead check to the blood work. She asked why and i told her how much I shoot and that I reload. She appreciated that I was concerned about monitoring my lead levels and she didnt give me a hard time about shooting. I have not had a chance to get the blood taken yet.

When I told my doctor how much I shoot he said hey I'm a shooter too, and said insurance would certainly understand my concern. But yes, I gave also had it done at An independent lab, and it was about $50.

Don't put this off for financial reasons. Your health is more important than a couple buck saved.

Since I stopped shooting indoors I am holding steady at 11. I was getting tested twice a year with my other blood work now just one time with my physical exam.

Edit to add: If you use a heavy metal cleanse, make sure you have Iron levels checked a year after. I am due this fall.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I was doing a lot of shooting years ago and a lot of indoor shooting and I too had mine checked,,,,,,it was normal. I don't remember the number, but I just wash my hands after reloading and my indoor sessions were never terribly long, but I've been fortunate in that I've shot on some excellent indoor ranges with good ventilation systems, so I'm guessing that has helped a lot.

Had a 46 with symptoms after running an indoor league shoot, fans didn't matter cause we were not in stalls but downrange running stages, so I Chelated (its nothing except the cost, Its a simple butterfly IV and makes your head feel funny cause your taking in a bag of saline I used like it wide open to get in and out quick, I think I did 20+ or so if I remember) Cost around $1000 my insurance only paid if I went into the hospital so I self paid. I don't shoot indoors if I can help it now

Simple blood lead level test every year at Dr and last one was 7

Edited by BSeevers

Had a 46 with symptoms after running an indoor league shoot, fans didn't matter cause we were not in stalls but downrange running stages, so I Chelated (its nothing except the cost, Its a simple butterfly IV and makes your head feel funny cause your taking in a bag of saline I used like it wide open to get in and out quick, I think I did 20+ or so if I remember) Cost around $1000 my insurance only paid if I went into the hospital so I self paid. I don't shoot indoors if I can help it now

Simple blood lead level test every year at Dr and last one was 7

Interesting. Mine was at 56 but my Dr. said to stop shooting and recheck in 2 weeks I believe. It dropped so he opted not to do any treatment. It dropped quickly once I stopped shooting. Previously as you can guess... I was shooting a lot indoors (winter time)! Headaches, and I mean nasty headaches where my symptoms. The headaches were almost entirely gone in about a month!

To the OP- the levels are certainly low for you which is great. Test them next time during the winter when you shoot more indoors.

Action shooting indoors is about as bad as it can be since usually we are heading downrange (chasing the smoke) during the COF!